Tirpitz

More threads by Des

Des

Today I was out driving Tirpitz the 230 and we were engaged and rear ended by a battle cruiser of the Imperial Japanese Navy, a Nissan.

Tirpitz suffered moderate damage, tow bar bent, bumper bent, rear panel pushed in about 4 inches, tail light smashed, boot bent.

Didn't actually feel like a big impact, although the other car must have hit us at around 40-50k/ph

not good,
have only had my dad out of hospital one day and we were involved in an accident.

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the damage, main thing is we weren't hurt, car absorbed the impact.

s class

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Let us know as soon as you have a prognosis on the damage...

116Benz

Glad to hear your ok Des, sheesh, any reason as to why there was contact?

Styria

The Godfather
Des, I am sorry to hear of the mishap - let's hope that both you and/or the guy are insured. That softens the blow a bit.

By the way, you had me tossed regarding Tirpitz and what the name normally stands for. I have my Gleaming Beauty, but the Astral Silver 6.9 needs a name. Two that come to mind are "SHARNHORST" and "GNEISENAU". Wow, especially the first one - that name bristles with all kinds of connotations.

Any other suggestions for a name, fellows ? Regards Styria (Please don't be rude !)

s class

And translations for those of us who are German-challenged......

Styria

The Godfather
For all German challenged posties - Tirpitz, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were German battle ships and/or battle cruisers.

I know that the Tirpitz was named after Admiral "Herr von Tirpitz, and it could well be that the other two were also named in recognition of former Senior Admirality Officers, more than likely captains etc. of ships during World War I.

The term 'Horst' actually stands for Eagle's Nest and also, and don't laugh and no smart pants comments:D, is also my first christian name. So much for today's history lesson - I'll go and grapple now with more mundane things in my interesting life. Regards Styria

116Benz

No smarty pants comments here, I find it fascinating. I was wondering where Tirpitz came from as well...Now I know.

OP
Des

Des

Des, I am sorry to hear of the mishap - let's hope that both you and/or the guy are insured. That softens the blow a bit.

By the way, you had me tossed regarding Tirpitz and what the name normally stands for. I have my Gleaming Beauty, but the Astral Silver 6.9 needs a name. Two that come to mind are "SHARNHORST" and "GNEISENAU". Wow, especially the first one - that name bristles with all kinds of connotations.

Yes the other car was a government car and fully insured although she tried to say it was my fault....

was at a T intersection with a give way sign, I started to turn left, then spotted a car coming quite fast down the hill from the right, so I stopped about half the car over the line, quite a wide road so the car could have gone past me ok, the car behind me rear ended me.

As I see it she was tail gating, driving to close to me to be able to stop when I stopped.

I've spoken to the police and they agree with me that someone shouldn't run into you like that, need to keep a safe distance.

Remember I used to have Bismarck the 6.9, so seemed logical to have Tirpitz the 230 (kind of rhymes as well)

000_0248.png

Well as you can see from the photos it was a reasonable impact,

Even though the indicator on the drivers side is broken it all still works, was able to drive the car home fine.

P1010033.png

P1010035.png

P1010036.png

P1010037.png

P1010046.png

116Benz

I spose it looks more dramatic than it really is. Being a government car, her insurance will cover the cost of repairs, Tirpitz will have a new stern.

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm glad no one was hurt, it looks like a fair old shunt and I'm of the opinion they will write the car off, that looks like a 2 to 3k repair at the least, the boot floor will need replacing as well and the rear guards are likley to need repair after being pulled inwards from the bend in the rear panel.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Sorry to hear about your accident Des.

Glad to know you and your dad were safe...

OP
Des

Des

Sorry to hear about your accident Des.

Glad to know you and your dad were safe...

thanks mate

I think for me anyway it highlights how important it is to drive a safe car,

Volvo....Mercedes only way to go.

G

Goldacre

How about this one Styra, the 'Graff Spee' a German pocket battle ship.
Read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_pocket_battleship_Admiral_Graf_Spee

You can play around with this one, how about Graf Spee(d) an 'out of pocket' battle ship :D

Seriously now, i ran it through bablefish translation program and Graff means 'Count' and Spee means 'Spee' he must of been one of those Transelvania types:p

julian

PS Good to read you are all OK Des, hope repairs get along well.

Last edited:

SELfor50

Sh!t DES! Just saw this... that sucks dude!! Did you get out and head butt em?

It's good that the insurance will cover it.. Are you and your dad ok?

Must've been a decent speed to that sorta damage to a ben(d)z.. :rolleyes:

OP
Des

Des

Sh!t DES! Just saw this... that sucks dude!! Did you get out and head butt em?

It's good that the insurance will cover it.. Are you and your dad ok?

Must've been a decent speed to that sorta damage to a ben(d)z.. :rolleyes:

Didn't get violent, was all very civilized. Was a woman driver, basically I pointed out I thought it was her fault in a polite manner and she did the same to belive it was mine or both our faults.

Yeah we are ok, we both agree that it would have been far worse if we were in a Japanese car or even our VW GOLF!

Yeah we guess it was around 40-50k/ph impact, although looking at the car you could see that it could take a bigger impact and you would still be ok, after all it is still completely drive able, you wouldn't know by driving it that it had an impact, all the rear lights still work!

Styria

The Godfather
Nevertheless, Des, in panel beating and Insurance terms, the damage is quite substantial. Don't be surprised if you'll have the opportunity to look around for another car. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
If Mr Styria is correct then take the money and put it in the piggy bank marked '170 Fund'. One day, as happened to me, you will see the car of your dreams and it will whisper sweet things in you ear until you take it home. That piggy bank needs to be kept in reserve for such a moment and not frivelled on lesser things. :eek:
(Uncle) BenzBoy :rolleyes:

OP
Des

Des

If Mr Styria is correct then take the money and put it in the piggy bank marked '170 Fund'. One day, as happened to me, you will see the car of your dreams and it will whisper sweet things in you ear until you take it home. That piggy bank needs to be kept in reserve for such a moment and not frivelled on lesser things. :eek:
(Uncle) BenzBoy :rolleyes:

Dear BenzBoy
you are correct yes, going to sell my 280CE soon and just keep my Volvo, then focus on a 170

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sell the Volvo as a collector piece and put that money into the piggy bank as well.
My Volvo was the only car I sold that I ever made money on. It was an 850 Turbo wagon that went like the clappers and the only extra-ordinary cost was a set of new rear seat belts that were eaten by an unamed puppy. It was bought by a Volvo enthusiast who repainted it and carts his Old English Sheepdog around in it - and from all accounts both of them love it. Do you know, it was one of the most comfortable and pleasant cars to drive (so long as there were no bumps to throw it off-line and so long as I ignored the squeals from the front tyres (Pirellis) at full acceleration or on fast corners...:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy