The obsession continues....

More threads by Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Well I've acquired yet another W116... (though I got rid of my Falcon ute...so it works out OK :p).

I don't have any proper pics just yet, just a teaser snapshot I managed to get with my phone.;) Any others didn't turn out right in the lighting conditions. I'll have to get some batteries tomorrow or the next day for the digital camera.

Anyhoo, it's a 1974 350SE. I'm not 100% sure what the colour is, though it's certainly a very maroon colour. Looking on the Org's colour chart, I'd say it's probably a "Medium Red -516". It looks fantastic though IMO.

It is dual fuel.... runs primarily on LPG, which I (perhaps surprisingly) liked the idea of. My dad, not so much... but it seems he doesn't mind it so much now.

I'm not going to be equipping my 280 or the likes with an LPG conversion, but since this car came with it done it's a nice bonus.

It does go very well, I'm quite surprised actually. Not the torquey grunt compared to a petrol 350 perhaps, but still not too far off.
I really bought it because it seemed like a very nice "regular" town running car, not to mention more economical to run.

However I've found it's easily the nicest of the W116's I personally have (I'm not including the 6.9 since my dad and I joint own that):-
-The absolute only sign of rust is a tiny bit on the edge of the left rear passenger door
-the paint is in very good condition, only a couple of minor touch up areas
-straight as an arrow all round
-engine is unbelievebly smooth, it's almost like new, it's a totally different beast compared to my white 350SE despite the same engine...though of course that car needs a lot of work
-all gauges, lights, the heater and air con etc works. It doesn't have cruise control or headlight wipers, but it does include electric windows and as I said, air con. Unfortunately no sunroof...
-all the seats are great, none of the common sunken rear seats or the like
-interior needs a clean up, and there's a couple of spots that are "sun burnt", which seems common with this type of white interior in Australia. But otherwise the interior is quite nice.
-speakers seem good, but I'll need to replace the tape player with a CD player ASAP :cool:

I'm posting this in a slight hurry, so I've probably forgotten a few things, but I'll be back later.
Tomorrow I'll have a gander at all the option codes and such, as I haven't yet done that.

Anyway, here's that single "teaser" pic ;)

15-08-09_1655.jpg

It doesn't really do the paint justice... and no, it's not brown! :cool:

Also, apologies to the Mainlanders, or more specifically, the Melbournians, for taking yet another W116 off you :D ;)

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Andrew280SEL Pty. Ltd. Purveyor of W116 to the world!!! :D
Congratulations Andrew.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

We've not yet heard a pip from anyone regarding the 'nibling' that's going on with the Magnetite Blue 6.9......all very hush hush...Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations Andrew and most importantly, NICE to Hear From You :p

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hi guys, yes I know my input has been somewhat very limited, but I have been lurking a bit ;)
To be honest my browsing and posting on any forums these days is sometimes difficult because of my increasingly dodgy "mobile broadband".:mad:
These days it's very erratic, sometimes it zooms along as well as any proper broadband but more and more it's performing like dial-up...and sometimes even worse :eek:
But such is life where I live.

Now, Styria... what blue 6.9? :rolleyes:;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, yes I know my input has been somewhat very limited, but I have been lurking a bit ;)
To be honest my browsing and posting on any forums these days is sometimes difficult because of my increasingly dodgy "mobile broadband".:mad:
These days it's very erratic, sometimes it zooms along as well as any proper broadband but more and more it's performing like dial-up...and sometimes even worse :eek:

It looks as though you may have to talk to your Dad ! He might have some news to surprise you. :D Regards Styria...It's Magnetite Blue

Lukas

Congrats re the 350 - I can imagine that is a nice colour. I still look at my poor old rusty 350 out the front and want to revive it.

If the Conformadore ever blows up, I'm getting very tempted to get a w116 of some kind as a daily driver.

Martin280s

Andrew, My mobile broadband does exactly the same thing! There is no other type of provider where I live except for a radio link which is much more expensive. Looks like we'll just have to put up with it. :(

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Andrew 280 SEL: About LPG dual fuel conversions: I once remember reading an article in the M-B Vic. Club magazine. The owner of a 450 SEL dual fuel LPG vehicle was driven around the twist when his car developed an almost impossible to start problem which took him months to solve. He had all sorts of experts look at the problem. To cut a long story short, it turned out to be that the gas supply line to the engine was sucking in air, thus mucking up the gas/air ratio. The owner admitted that he was saved from the looney bin, after the frustration was removed.

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Thanks for that SEL_69L, that will save me much frustration should it happen to me :D

On a related note, I'm going to schedule an LPG system service next week. I forgot to mention in my original post, although it does generally run very well, when you go over approx 3500-4000 RPM it appears to sort of starve for fuel (gas). No issue when running on petrol obviously. The man I bought it off did mention this and suggested it may need a bigger "converter" or maybe it just needs a component replaced.
Regardless, it's not an issue unless I either really want to "floor" it or go over 110 km/h.... neither of which I do in this car anyway. But still I'll get an (hopefully) experts opinion on it.

Sorry I haven't got any more pics guys, weather + time has not been kind here :(

I will get around to it though!

And yes Martin, it's quite frustrating, but something. I even got on Telstra Bigpond's (my provider) support line today to see if something in their systems had gone wrong or if they had any ideas....needless to say, they were quite useless. But I expected as much unfortunately.
Ah well... at least it's still allowing me to do the basic 'net necessities ATM.

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Pics...finally

OK, so finally I managed to get a few snaps of the car today, although it was STILL raining, just not as much as lately...

Unfortunately because of the weather and where I live, some mud on the tires was unavoidable... :eek:
That and the general wet area spoils the snapshots somewhat, but anyhow here's the car:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/eldersnake/SDC10120.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/eldersnake/SDC10122.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/eldersnake/SDC10124.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/eldersnake/SDC10125.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/eldersnake/SDC10126.jpg