Take a Spin

More threads by BHW

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BHW, thank you for posting those articles. I have not yet read them, but have certainly appreciated the pictures. Do you want to know something ? Look at the glove box fitting and the timber finish. I assume that the car was new when those pics. were taken. Even then, the fit is far from perfect. I am pointing this out, because just about each and every later model 116 has a timber panel that goes out of shape.

It was only just the other day that I approached Parks to put his talents to straightening that piece of veneer with the timber strip glued to the back of it. I had had a good look and figured water treatment together with "block bending" could perhaps help in straightening the veneer. I spoke to him today and it would seem that with suitable heat treatment and blocked pressure points he has largely managed to straighten that panel. Have not yet seen it, but when I do, I will report on my findings.

OP
B

BHW

Connoisseur
Hello Styria, The W116 in the article was loaned from the factory’s Classic Center in Stuttgart to the writer of the article for comparison driving, handling and details against what was at the time of the article the revised 2018 Mercedes Benz S Class.
:D