Tailshaft Vibration

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
During the M100 rally I detected a vibration from the tailshaft when pushed over 90mph, the cause was alarming.

I had some exhaust work done and while the car was on the hoist I checked the uni joints for play and found the Yolk bolts to the diff loose, not finger tight but loose, and one was missing...

All hardware was replaced, loctite and torqued to spec.

Lucky save I think.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, you were indeed lucky that you picked this up before the whole shebang let go - and let go it would have in a huge way - busted floor tunnel, hand brake cables spaghetti like, yeah, it would have been absolutely disastrous.

I have often looked at these special bolts and nuts securing the rear of the propshaft to the differential flange - I must say it has never filled me with a lot of confidence and it is an item of maintenance that should be kept an eye on quite regularly. I am glad you caught it in time. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
During the M100 rally I detected a vibration from the tailshaft when pushed over 90mph, the cause was alarming.

I had some exhaust work done and while the car was on the hoist I checked the uni joints for play and found the Yolk bolts to the diff loose, not finger tight but loose, and one was missing...

All hardware was replaced, loctite and torqued to spec.

Lucky save I think.

LUCKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY