Registration papers

More threads by Des

Des

Following on from Bill's thread, thought it would be best to start another thread, some questions.....

Is it a legal requirement of some sort to carry your registration papers with you?

In Tasmania, I guess like other parts of Australia you have two pieces paper, A yellow form that shows you own the car, with all the engine number, vin number, purchase price, k's at purchase etc.. etc.. on it.
Then you get the form each year in the post with the new sticker, which gets stamped when you pay it, or you write the receipt number on it if you pay it online. This has all your address details on it as well.

I had to pay rego on one of my cars today and got me thinking about Bill,
with computers and such these days, potential stuff ups...

TJ 450

In Western Australia, the Licence and Third Party Insurance Policy account form with a valid reciept attached, is proof of registration. The label on the vehicle shows the date of expiration only.

I would not keep the rego papers in the vehicle for security reasons, although I'm not sure what the law states about the matter.

In relation to Bill's concern about the exhaust,

In WA, there are no mandatory vehicle inspections required for renewal, so all that is required for renewal is payment at a PO, Licensing Centre, or by Mail.

Police inspections, whether at random or at RBTs, determine whether your vehicle is roadworthy... it all depends on how the officer's day has been as to whether you get issued with a yellow sticker, or not... they will even inspect the engine bay if they feel the need.

Tim

OP
Des

Des

Yes well it just got me thinking and how in movies, I know movies are not accurate but when someone gets pulled over they always say let's see

"vehicle registration and proof of insurance"

So I was just curious if you do have to carry them

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes well it just got me thinking and how in movies, I know movies are not accurate but when someone gets pulled over they always say let's see
"vehicle registration and proof of insurance"
So I was just curious if you do have to carry them

That is usually American movies...
Never happens here

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des and Tim,

In NSW, once a car is older than three years, it is a requirement that a vehicle undergo an annual safety and inspection check by Repair Shops and approved by Road Transport Authority (RTA).

They issue a pink slip (white in colour now) which is then recorded by the RTA and you then receive your new registration label - this must be affixed to a glass area of the vehicle, invariably the front screen or a rear quarter window. It is not mandatory to carry registration papers in the car. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
In some Continental countries the driver is required to carry registration papers. In NSW a driver is required to carry a brown paper bag containing a contribution to the Police Retirement Fund Inc.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

WGB

It has never been mandatory to carry Rego papers and receipts in a car in Western Australia (It is an offence to not carry your driver's licence however) but I see that as of Jan 1 2010 the Licencing Authority is even scrapping the stickers so I might start carrying them with me - but security is a worry if the car is stolen.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It has never been mandatory to carry Rego papers and receipts in a car in Western Australia (It is an offence to not carry your driver's licence however) but I see that as of Jan 1 2010 the Licencing Authority is even scrapping the stickers so I might start carrying them with me - but security is a worry if the car is stolen.

Bill

In France, where rego papers (Carte Grise) must be carried in the car(in case a Gendarme asks to see them). people have resorted (and it's accepted by the Law Officers) to carrying photocopies.