Purple Polish

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A new metal polish - NOT for painted surfaces - is Purple Polish.
I used it today on a felt pad wrapped around a cork block to ensure even polishing - removes very light scratches and leaves a brilliant shine. For deeper scratches I used Swissvax metal polish and then finished off with Purple Polish.
Highly recommended on stainless steel but not on any silver-plated finish (if you have such.)

Speciality Brands Purple Metal Polish
By Speciality Brands

Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, how about polishing our old bugbear ? I am talking about the Anodized Aluminium that we have on various parts sections of our 116s. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi BenzBoy, how about polishing our old bugbear ? I am talking about the Anodized Aluminium that we have on various parts sections of our 116s. Regards Styria
No - it will take off the outer coating. That's OK so long as you lacquer it afterwards - or maybe you polish it every month or so without lacquer?
Could be worth a try on a spare bit.
Regards,
Brian

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A little further investigation shows this stuff - http://www.calcustom.com.au/california-custom-catalogue/aluminum-deoxidizer
I wonder if it might be possible to clean the anodised aluminium and the keep it waxed? Just a thought and worth trying on an already damaged piece. If someone has such a piece and brings it to the GTG on the 17th I'll bring some Swissvax metal plish and some Purple Polish and we can try.
Regards,
Brian

E200K

Not sure Cali Purple Polish is new - think it's been around for years.

Did you use it on your chrome, Brian? What's it like at repelling fingerprints?

By the way, it looks like Car Care Products stock it now.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It may have been around for years....it came recommended by a jeweller who uses it for polishing his grille on his knee while he watches TV. (Sounds perfectly normal to me - except for the TV bit.)
Chrome? No; so far only on stainless steel.
I wax after using it so not sure about fingerprints. Yes, it came from Car Care Products.
Regards,
Brian

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Purple Polish is a total dud when the rain hits it!! Despite cleaning it off well after using it, rain spots turn to marks that are very difficult to use. Further, I find that after a few days areas polished with Purple Polish become cloudy. I assume it has a short-life chemical that gives its instant lustre.
Well, back to Swissvax. The Purple Polish is in the bin - I have to withdraw my recommendation.
Regards,
Brian

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have tried the German alloy polish we use on new on new vehicles with top results, on the alloy trim of my 6.9, to not much avail. I think the reason for this has to do with there being residual laquer on the trim. I have tried cutting the supposed laquer off the trim then polish, again with not much success.

The alloy trim on my car originally had a very poor cloudy surface, to the extent that I considered replacing it. In the end, I just applied clear laquer. That gave by far the best result.

I have had none of the cloudy discolouation return. I have improved the appearance of the trim by a huge amount, to where the appearance of it is quite acceptable, but it is not quite as good as the finish you would expect if the trim was new.

E200K

Purple Polish is a total dud when the rain hits it!! Despite cleaning it off well after using it, rain spots turn to marks that are very difficult to use. Further, I find that after a few days areas polished with Purple Polish become cloudy. I assume it has a short-life chemical that gives its instant lustre.
Well, back to Swissvax. The Purple Polish is in the bin - I have to withdraw my recommendation.
Regards,
Brian

Thanks for letting us know. Now we just need to wean you off the Swissvax :D