Mum's new toy

More threads by mathew

mathew

Well guys it's not new we have had her a year but I have been away from the site for quite sometime, just to busy really, but now I have moved to Wagga I have time to spare so here are some pic's. I know everyone curses the W140 but I really have to say it's the best car I have ever owned, nothing comes close to it for cruising interstate. My only regret is I didn't buy one years ago but then again now the prices are so low if you get a good one you just can't wipe the grin off your face!

8-19.jpg

ATTACH]

9-14.jpg

7-19.jpg

boat020.jpg

14-4.jpg

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Welcome back Mat good to have you on board here at TopKlasse!

After having the honour of driving Anissa's W140 at last years Tea Gardens event I was most impressed with the S280 the car is magnificient.

And I did even manage to get the car up on two wheels and I did 150km/h going around a tight corner don't tell the owner though just kidding! lol.
;)

Happy motoring Mat & Anissa.

All the best for 2011 to you and your Family.

Cheers Tim.
:D

OP
mathew

mathew

150 why so slow lol Happy New Year to you Tim.

260ebenz

Master
150 why so slow lol Happy New Year to you Tim.

150km/h it was a bit slow well I was driving a Battleship enough said! lol.
;)

Awesome S280 Mat and maybe one day this young bloke who quite happily drives an E-Class might make the step up to an S-Class!

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice to see you back online Mat.
Hope you're well settled in Wagga.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mat, we all know, well at least some of us, know how much you like your W140, but we also know that you bought the car from one of the Club members (?) who really looked after the car. I have forgotten how many kilometers it has done, but it was well cared for.

Without looking at the car with a jaundiced eye, how do you assess it ? Has it been truly reliable and have you/or had any work done on it other than oil, tyres and petrol ? More importantly, how well or badly does your 420SEL compare with it ? A few quesrtions, I'd be interested in your assessment and comments. Regards Styria

OP
mathew

mathew

Wagga is going great guys lot's of Merc's down this way they are the car of choice not a BMW to be seen anywhere and I doubt they have heard of an AUDI lol.

I brought the car from a fellow that attended our concours he had it on display to sell it. Yes it was like new when I got it and had traveled 98,000 or so km's. When I test drove it the only thing I could find was the well known M104 oil leak from the head gasket, just a dribble mind you. So I decided to remove the head and replace the gasket simply because I wanted it perfect. The guys that checked the head reckoned it was the cleanest head they had ever seen, it's run Mobil One since new and I use it in all my cars even the old 180E.

Outside that job which didn't have to be done it has had an airflow meter MB $730 OEM $260 no prizes for guessing which I chose. It has performed faultlessly and it manages 7.5 to the 100 on the freeway, for a car this big that's bloody impressive given a Prius can barely break 5 to the 100 and is awful to drive and squeeze into.

The car leaves a W126 for dead there is no comparing what so ever, end of story except for one thing. I reckon the 126 is one of the most beautiful Mercedes Sacco ever designed, the W140 isn't a beautiful car. Although now nearly 20 years on from it's release as other cars have grown larger it seems much more at home on the road to look at than way back in 1992. It has presence like nothing else and when you come down the Hume people move out of you way it's one very imposing German Tank. I like the look of it but the W126 I like the look of just that little bit more. A W126 makes you feel special a good W140 makes you feel like royalty it really does.

I would recommend one to anyone but keep in mind a pre purchase inspection is a must, no matter how good it looks and the series two model is the one to go for. I guess the big word of warning is shop around for parts, the various prices are startling big savings can be had with a little web searching. In a nutshell I would never part with the W126 and I can assure you the W140 will sit alongside it in the garage, whilst ever I'm still able to drive. A good W140 is the best or nothing a bad one will leave you with nothing.

Cheers Mat.