locks

More threads by Des

Des

I know I have nearly worn out my quota for questions for the week, but I have just one more guys

:eek:

regarding the boot lock, can this be locked manually with the key independently of the Central locking system? i.e. you turn the key in the boot and it stays locked regardless of the car's Central locking system? I like to keep my boot locked at all times, unless I want to use it then have it locked again.

I have mucked aorund with the keys in the boot lock and cannot get it to lock, which is most annoying.

On other Benzes I have had you could do this, seems with this w116 it will only lock when the car is locked.

Off to the mechanic tomorrow to see if the car is viable keeping on the road or not.

Last edited:

SELfor50

Until I had to drill my boot lock out, I had to use a key to actually open it every time, otherwise it wouldn't open. Had to put the key in, turn and push.
Then I lost the key 2 days before an event.. had to drill it. Now i'm the only one who know's how to open it.. i'll swap you boot locks if you like Des?! ;)

OP
Des

Des

Until I had to drill my boot lock out, I had to use a key to actually open it every time, otherwise it wouldn't open. Had to put the key in, turn and push.
Then I lost the key 2 days before an event.. had to drill it. Now i'm the only one who know's how to open it.. i'll swap you boot locks if you like Des?! ;)

That's cool mate, there is a slight "click clunk" when putting the key it so I might have a go at fixing it (at breaking it worse than it already is)

I just wanted to check I wasn't going crazy and you could lock the boot and override the central locking

bronzy935

On my '79 116 Euro nmbr 7074 the boot lock has 3 positions: vertical is locked, twist 90 degrees left then boot unlocks when central locking opens or twist another 45 degrees left boot can be opened when central stays locked.

I hope yours works right soon.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You should be able to keep the boot locked at all time Des.
In extreme circumsatnces then why don't you simply lock the car up when you drive...that way your boot is locked..;)

Lukas

Another option is to disconnect the pneumatic central locking widget from the lock, so that the boot lock is no longer "subject" to central locking.

To get to it, unscrew x4 and remove the plastic boot lip plate, then pull back the carpet that is against the rearmost part of the boot (may be contact adhesed, but can be re-fitted without it). Just to the right of the boot latch there is a black metal panel that bulges into the boot - unscrew using the 2 screws at the bottom (not the ones in the middle), which will reveal the pneumatic plunger attached to the back of that plate. Now release the plunger via the 2 screws in the middle of the plate, and then find a way to disconnect it from the lock. I suppose you could unplug the vacuum lines too, but you'd need to plug the ends of them with something.

It may help if you remove the central chrome piece from the rear of the car, but to do that you have to remove the tail lights first, then the side chrome pieces above the lights, and possibly the lock catch to undo the nuts at the back of the central piece (ie try to avoid it).

Lukas

abl567

Super Moderator
On a 109 it depends which key you use, the valet key will operate the central locking but the master key can be used to lock the boot lid and glovebox door so they remain locked when the doors are unlocked. It should be in the owners manual

WGB

You could buy graphite lubricant as a powder in the past - I assume it's still available.

I tend to use a spray lube but keep it away from your central locking diaphragms unless it's safe with rubber.

Bill

B

BAR

Not sure if your question is answered, or if you have solved the problem.

Very simply, the boot lock has 3 states:

1. Locked / Unlocked - controlled by central locking
2. Locked - permanently
3. Unlocked - permanently

1. Controlled by central locking - when lock is in horizontal position.
2. Insert key Insert key and rotate 90 degrees clockwise
3. Insert key and rotate 90 degrees anti-clockwise