LDV People Carrier

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Over the last few months, I have been looking at various Four Wheel Drives, SUVs and vehicles in general. Not necessarily to purchase at this stage, but just to satisfy my curiosities.

I have come across a grey import such as the Nissan Elgrande which has built up a loyal and cultlike following, then there is the Toyota Aeras which is very similar to the Tarago but with a larger 3 litre V6 engine, and then there is the LDV People Carrier. Chinese made, and perhaps little is known of their quality and other factors that may influence someone to either purchase or go against the idea of that. However, I have taken some photos in my own right, but attached is a vehicle presently being advertised on Cars Guide. I must admit that the interior of the car is quite stunning. Please judge for yourself.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-f...ey=cg_s.38c83fa143550dc438732376d77bf7f8#pos1

Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Benz Boy, I understand where you are coming from, so why are these LDVs two stars short of the maximum ? Is the Ancap rating really all that important ? Take my 6.9 Gleaming Beauty - I am quite certain that there would not have been any rating back in 1979 as we know it today, but it never stopped me from buying it. What about your Peugeot ? Is there a rating for it ?

Perhaps the following example may be inappropriate, but for years here has been the odd person (number wise) who would have insisted on a car being Australian complied, and would not have a bar of a non-complied import. Yet, I do know from experience, that my GB is really a superior car to the Australian complied 6.9. I am interested in your thoughts. Regards Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
when we found out we were expecting Twins, we researched these type of vehicles. At the time, my wife assumed we would need a minivan. The top of the list was the Tarago. This is exactly the same as the Estima Aeras, which is for the Japanese market. they differ only by trim levels and options. For example, you can get the V6 in Australian versions but only at the very top trim levels which means few are sold. The Estima was not cheap enough compared to the tarago to make me consider it as many cars have have their odometers rolled back as part of the import process.

The thing that put us off the Tarago was the driving experience and the feeling of piloting the Ark Royal around small Sydney streets. Visibility is not great and the driving experience is fairly poor. My wife also felt the interior looked cheap and poor quality. This was comparing a 7 year old Tarago with a 15 year old Lexus.

The El Grand and the LDV (we did not consider this one at the time) is bigger again than the Tarago and you start to run into issues parking them and navigating them around. I used to drive my friend's VW Transporter around that is of similar size and it felt like driving a bus.

The other one we looked at was the Honda oddessy. This was ruled out because the child seat arrangements were sub-optimal. Also even in the highly specced models the interior felt very substandard. You would look at 5 year old cars and it looked like somebody had a knife fight in there, the leather had so many rips and holes.\

The other thing I would add is many of these cars are bought as kiddie haulers and they have a HARD life (at least the interior)

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Benz Boy, I understand where you are coming from, so why are these LDVs two stars short of the maximum ? Is the Ancap rating really all that important ? Take my 6.9 Gleaming Beauty - I am quite certain that there would not have been any rating back in 1979 as we know it today, but it never stopped me from buying it. What about your Peugeot ? Is there a rating for it ?

Perhaps the following example may be inappropriate, but for years here has been the odd person (number wise) who would have insisted on a car being Australian complied, and would not have a bar of a non-complied import. Yet, I do know from experience, that my GB is really a superior car to the Australian complied 6.9. I am interested in your thoughts. Regards Styria
The Peugeot has 4 stars. My point is simply that for any car from 2000 onwards to have less than 4 or 5 stars is simply an indication that it does not have the body integrity or the safety add-ons like airbags that I consider essential. Even the 1993 Spirit has airbags.
This should not stop you driving GB at all but it will have the body integrity that the LDV will never have.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Having operated both Tarago and Carnival in my previous job. The Tarago won that one. At the time that was old model Carnival I have since driven new model and it would be current pick other than being large. And if new isn't important may I suggest Canberra government car auctions in Fyshwick.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Having operated both Tarago and Carnival in my previous job. The Tarago won that one. At the time that was old model Carnival I have since driven new model and it would be current pick other than being large. And if new isn't important may I suggest Canberra government car auctions in Fyshwick.

if you're buying new its hard to go past the Kia with its market leading warranty. 7 years is pretty good. The Carnival is significantly cheaper than the Tarago new and the Tarago is better, but not that much better. I prefer to buy something used, but were I getting a new car the Carnival would probably be on the list.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Old model was pretty ordinary in the Carnival. But new model beats Tarago pretty much everywhere other than parking. Used to have extensive fleet rented out in my name in last job. From 20 Fuso buses. Around 50 commuter buses and more.