Is this normal?

More threads by grant v

grant v

If the driver's door of my 6.9 is open and the ignition is on, I can't open any of the windows. I have to press in the two black switches on the inside of the door arch to simulate that the door is closed, or close the door before the window will work.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If the driver's door of my 6.9 is open and the ignition is on, I can't open any of the windows. I have to press in the two black switches on the inside of the door arch to simulate that the door is closed, or close the door before the window will work.

I didn't think it was right.:)

So I went and checked on my 690SEL and I can open the door put the key in the ignition and open any window whether the engine is running or off as long as the ignition is on (door open or closed).

WGB

The 126 had system that allowed the windows to be raised and lowered with the ignition turned off so long as a door was open.

It does not seem to be on the 116 but maybe you have a faulty version of that.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi GrantV, I would say no, it is not normal. As long as the ignition is on, the electric window switches will operate the windows irrespective of the doors being open or closed. This is a DIFFERENT one I have not heard of previously. Regards Styria

John S

My Hayes repair manual advised that with the ignition not on the electric windows on a 116 should work only with a door open. I assumed that power to the window came through or earthed through the interior light circuit. However tried it but the windows would not work without the ignition on.

K

koan

I've had a look at the wiring diagrams for AUS and US cars and there's nothing there that would allow operation of the window with door open and ignition off. It's strictly ignition off they don't work, ignition on they do.

I was told by someone years ago that at the end of a model run features and parts from the next model start to appear, maybe that's the explanation and there's an electrical problem.

Also you mention two black switches, I assume that means you have the seatbelt / starter interlock setup. I've never looked at that section in the manual but if that's what you have does the interlock work as it should?

koan

OP
grant v

grant v

So the window should work with door open and the ignition on? And now it seems that the two black switches are also unusual? I'll have to take a pic for you guys.