I just Bought a 6.9

More threads by Helmet

Helmet

Connoisseur
I never thought I would own another 6.9 until this one crossed my path a couple of weeks ago. I blame Topklasse for this momentary lack of judgement:rolleyes: when my heart overtook my head as I wrote the cheque.:)

P1100096.JPG

P1100097.JPG

260ebenz

Master
Peter well done on the purchase of the 6.9

How many kms has the 6.9 travelled?

More pics of the 6.9 if possible please?

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done!

Welcome to the Exclusive Club... :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet Buddy Boy (!) :D - why did you think you'd never own anther 6.9 ? Too expensive to maintain, too much of a slouch compared with the moderns ? No charisma ? Lots of explanations needed. Heart overrule the head when writing the cheque ? Hard to believe, as you are too smart for that.

Anyway, to get serious and get down to tin tacks - I hope that you will find the car good enough to want to keep it. TK is badly in need of all manner of 116s, including of course the 6.9s, especially units that are mobile and/or driveable, and/or reliable, and I shall be very interested if you would like to let us have your summary as regards the condition of the car. I see it's an Oz version, but it certainly looks a tidy unit. Regards Styria

OP
H

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Helmet Buddy Boy (!) :D - why did you think you'd never own anther 6.9 ? Too expensive to maintain, too much of a slouch compared with the moderns ? No charisma ? Lots of explanations needed. Heart overrule the head when writing the cheque ? Hard to believe, as you are too smart for that.

Anyway, to get serious and get down to tin tacks - I hope that you will find the car good enough to want to keep it. TK is badly in need of all manner of 116s, including of course the 6.9s, especially units that are mobile and/or driveable, and/or reliable, and I shall be very interested if you would like to let us have your summary as regards the condition of the car. I see it's an Oz version, but it certainly looks a tidy unit. Regards Styria

The car is in pretty good condition.:D The paintwork is fair to good, no rust. Mechanically it requires a transmission rebuild, set of air cells and front suspension bushes. I also noticed the diff is a little noisy of 80kph.
Dash and wood are in good condition, the drivers seat has a couple of tears. The parcel shelf has had 6x9 speakers fitted on wooden support :eek:
It's fitted with centra 16 inch alloys and has one one the original old AMG steering wheels.;)
I'll give it a wash and take some more pics tomorrow or Wednesday

260ebenz

Master
The car is in pretty good condition.:D The paintwork is fair to good, no rust. Mechanically it requires a transmission rebuild, set of air cells and front suspension bushes. I also noticed the diff is a little noisy of 80kph.
Dash and wood are in good condition, the drivers seat has a couple of tears. The parcel shelf has had 6x9 speakers fitted on wooden support :eek:
It's fitted with centra 16 inch alloys and has one one the original old AMG steering wheels.;)
I'll give it a wash and take some more pics tomorrow or Wednesday

250,000kms not bad.

Sounds good Peter keep us all posted please.

'Exclusive Club', is that just for 6.9 owners only Michel or all MB owners?

Cheers.

OP
H

Helmet

Connoisseur
250,000kms not bad.

Sounds good Peter keep us all posted please.

'Exclusive Club', is that just for 6.9 owners only Michel or all MB owners?

Cheers.

Haven't you heard of the exclusive 6.9 club Tim ?
It's sponsored by Caltex and Shell :)

Oversize

Grand Master
I know the feeling all too well! But my eye seems tuned to the neglected and abused ones! :eek: Great work to find a nicer one! Looks like a lovely colour combo and I love the steering wheel! Nice timber too. And what's wrong with 6x9s in a 6.9? Seems like they're just meant to be together! ;)

Why do you say the tranny needs a rebuild?

Looking forward to more pics.... :)

OP
H

Helmet

Connoisseur
I know the feeling all too well! But my eye seems tuned to the neglected and abused ones! :eek: Great work to find a nicer one! Looks like a lovely colour combo and I love the steering wheel! Nice timber too. And what's wrong with 6x9s in a 6.9? Seems like they're just meant to be together! ;)

Why do you say the tranny needs a rebuild?

Looking forward to more pics.... :)

The Transmission has lost reverse and is leaking , nothing a strip and rebuild wont fix. The 6X9's sound OK but are fitted a little roughly for my liking

Styria

The Godfather
The Transmission has lost reverse and is leaking , nothing a strip and rebuild wont fix. The 6X9's sound OK but are fitted a little roughly for my liking

Now you're quite sure it's the Automatic ? You can fix the leak with judicious application of gasket sealant, and reverse ? Just a matter of adjusting the reverse band. No need for a rebuild ! :D Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Pics of the 6.9 after the car has been washed Peter?

6.9 already on the hoist for gearbox repairs.

All the best with the 6.9 Peter.
:)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet, I concur with you regarding the fitting of your 6 by 9 rear speakers. In the past, I have always had difficulty in achieving a neat installation of the rear speakers - whether that be even original units or replacement items. It is an area so difficult to get to and use tools in, and when you have to redrill mounting holes, the underfelt of the parcel shelf gets wrapped around the drill bit and it is almost impossible to extract it.

Yes, it is an area I don't particularly like to work in - even refurbishment of the parcel shelf itself is quite a nasty little operation. One of the more difficult trim areas on the W116 models. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Come on Peter enough of the suspense let's see pics of the 6.9 please?

Has the transmission been repaired Peter?

OP
H

Helmet

Connoisseur
Come on Peter enough of the suspense let's see pics of the 6.9 please?

Has the transmission been repaired Peter?

Ok Tim, just for you :D

P1100103.JPG

Yes the transmission is rebuilt. Here is a picture of the broken reverse band

P1100104.JPG