Hirschmann 6000U aerial fix

More threads by 6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
The w116's with Becker radios usually came with the 6000U retracting antenna. Mine was not working very well due to a bent mast and who knows what else!

I bit the bullet and removed it. Upon opening up the box I found corrosion and evidence of bugs that had found a home there. See the photo below. I cleaned it out, sprayed sparingly with rust disolver and then inox spray lubricant. This was part of a complete disassembly including taking the plastic tenon out of its reel casing. See the exploded view below.

It now works perfectly and is original in all respects.

If this is all too much work for you a replacement Hirschmann 2040 (runs the 6000U mast) model can be obtained from Soundlabs just outside of Sydney for only $125.

IMG_2213_2.png hirschmann_6000u_exploded_view_2.png

Styria

The Godfather
Hi David, thanks for that post. I have only ever opened up the body casing once, looked at it and decided that it was not the sort of job I could fix. I have always taken the 'easy route' and passed them onto my Radio guy. He tells me that with the original metal casing Hirschmans parts are becoming difficult to come by.

Tell me, did you actually purchase a new mast or did you simply manage to straighten yours ? Regards Styria

OP
6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble