Genesis bring it on reply from Mercedes

More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
David McCarthy's (Mercedes Benz) comments are absolutely correct.
A Benz buyer would not contemplate a Hyundai, even if it was gold-plated.
Lexus or Infiniti buyers might!

This is not to lower expectations about the Genesis.
Hyundai's quality and reliability is fabulous and on par with that of Toyota.
(don't forget to remember price differences)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
That may be the case for now. But I remember the same comments from European carmakers about Lexus. And in the market that counts they are now
1. BMW 3 Series / 4 Series - 77,921 units
2. Lexus RX - 73,279 units
3. Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 66,596 units
4. Lexus ES - 52,076 units
5. Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 46,006 units
7. BMW 5 Series - 38,681 units
9. Infiniti G Models - 34,202 units
I left out Acura and Cadillac from this list from good car bad car March figures so far Lexus is second to Mercedes this year in US but they are tipping Lexus will take the lead as they have out sold Mercedes 3 months in a row. Total US Genesis figures from last year were just under 34000 . Ahead of Jaguar by the way. I don't know about over east but Mercedes/BMW/Audi buyers cross shop to Lexus in Perth as I know Euro owners who have traded in for Lexus. And say they would never go back because to coin a phrase isn't it nice when things just work. There in lies Mercedes problem as they are perceived as unreliable since there quality slipped in mid 90's. And don't say it didn't electrical faults that even Holdens don't suffer from. :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That may be the case for now. But I remember the same comments from European carmakers about Lexus. And in the market that counts they are now
1. BMW 3 Series / 4 Series - 77,921 units
2. Lexus RX - 73,279 units
3. Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 66,596 units
4. Lexus ES - 52,076 units
5. Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 46,006 units
7. BMW 5 Series - 38,681 units
9. Infiniti G Models - 34,202 units
I left out Acura and Cadillac from this list from good car bad car March figures so far Lexus is second to Mercedes this year in US but they are tipping Lexus will take the lead as they have out sold Mercedes 3 months in a row. Total US Genesis figures from last year were just under 34000 . Ahead of Jaguar by the way. I don't know about over east but Mercedes/BMW/Audi buyers cross shop to Lexus in Perth as I know Euro owners who have traded in for Lexus. And say they would never go back because to coin a phrase isn't it nice when things just work. There in lies Mercedes problem as they are perceived as unreliable since there quality slipped in mid 90's. And don't say it didn't electrical faults that even Holdens don't suffer from. :eek:

I don't agree with your explanation about MB in Australia when Mercedes-Benz sold more than 27,000 vehicles in Australia in 2013, making it the most popular prestige brand in this country.

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
They are US sales figures as that's really the market that counts for car companies China will soon hold that honour. But I remember car companies saying Lexus was not a threat to there sales. The same will probably be true in 20 years with Genesis. It took Lexus a long time to break down the walls but seeing as I know several brand swappers they have finally done it. Due I think to Mercedes and BMW slipping in quality Audi has moved up in perception for the same perceived reasons. :)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Going on what I have seen with work Hyundai and owning one . Other car companies should be very worried . As mechanical reliability is brilliant and quality has improved with each model. But most importantly nothing ever fails to work and mine is 14 years old.