First Impressions

More threads by Mercules

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
As many of you know my experience with the Mercedes automobile has been limited to the 280SE I ultimately built for Cameron, however last night I had the opportunity to drive a certain Gleaming Beauty...

Now, I have driven many different types of cars in my career, and had the opportunity to drive some rather special performance vehicles, but very few could hold a candle to the torque-on-tap displayed by the 6.9

Tha 6.9 felt like a big heavy car to drive but the way it reacted to just the slightest application of throttle was astounding. I actually preferred to feed the throttle in rather than stick in the boot and let it kick-down.

The ride was surprisingly smooth on 18" wheels, proving the hydraulic suspen sion does more than just set the ride height. I was not game to steer it hard for fear of a clip over the ear from Julie but the feedback I was getting through the wheel was very responsive and tempted me several times to hook it harder!

Whilst they may not be everyones cup of tea, the 18" bling combined with a 1970's magnificence was quite the attention getter... You probably didn't notice Styria but there were some hot chicks in a Charade checking you out at the traffic lights (I think Julie noticed!)

In recent times I have mentioned to Styria that I will probably be looking to buy myself another car soon, but not W116... I think this test drive was an evil ploy to get me to buy another one - and our after dinner conversation with John may have just convinced me!

I had always imagined that the 6.9 was a satisfying drive but never really knew why you all go so crazy for them... now I know.

This really is the mature man's WRX... You bunch of rev-heads :rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Common... face the fact...

You're just jealous....:p

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Yes, I am jealous.... Jealous that the chicks don't get hot for me when I am rolling in my 2.4 litre Magna on LPG :mad:

If i wanted to go fast I wold definately buy a different car but I am just impressed by the quality & style of these cars AND the mutha-grunting 6.9.
I would probably put 22"s on mine though, and then probably some airbags, and then eventually twin turbos :rolleyes: I just an't help myself

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes, I am jealous.... Jealous that the chicks don't get hot for me when I am rolling in my 2.4 litre Magna on LPG :mad:

If i wanted to go fast I wold definately buy a different car but I am just impressed by the quality & style of these cars AND the mutha-grunting 6.9.
I would probably put 22"s on mine though, and then probably some airbags, and then eventually twin turbos :rolleyes: I just an't help myself

I like the way you think Cam... :D

Maybe we need to talk... offline...:p

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, IN THIS INSTANCE, there will be no off line talk as I am first cab off the rank - not with 22"ers or twin turbos, but hopefully with an up to date modern electronic engine management system - hint, hint !

For those not familiar with my past ramblings about my 'Gleaming Beauty', I have always felt that she was such a fantastic 'compromise' between power and economy fuel wise, size of engine, durability and absolute reliability as an every day driver, and other qualities AND deficiencies which are part of one's heart and soul.

It would indeed be very interesting to what extent a modern system would change the characteristics of the 6.9 engine. I am talking obviously of fuel economy and power - in other words, efficiency. Let's see what can be done in due course.

I am greatly interested in Mercules' summary of driving my car. My brief to him included to be critical and objective in his assessment, and I do think that his comments reflect the situation quite accurately. Regards Styria

WGB

A modern System would probably affect "Driveability" and economy but the limits of the combustion chambers and valvetrain would limit ultimate power.

The other factor about driveability is the limits of a hydraulically operated 3 speed auto. A 7 speed electronc auto would add in a new dimension of driveability and economy.

I would think the 6.9 with it's emphasis of torque over power would do very well with modern transmissions that have been primarily designed to get the best from low revving Hi torque Turbo-diesels.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, as far as modifications to Gleaming Beauty are concerned, my aim would be for greater efficiency in fuel delivery and not necessarily extra power. Sure, it would be nice to gain a couple of extra ponies, but cleaner and more economical running would be the priority.

It was interesting to note Mercules' comments "to gradually feed in the power" rather than kick down to a lower gear. As a fairly hard rule on myself, I hardly ever use full kick down - I would rather manually pull the lever back to to the 'S' position, and if, say, one were to do this at 50 or 60 kilometers an hour, the acceleration and torque are quite impressive. When Mercules drove my car, road and traffic conditions did not really allow him to use that facility with safety. If he had been able to, he could perhaps have been even more impressed with the 6.9 engine.

In relation to seven speed automatic boxes (and now EIGHT in the top of the line Lexus), I really would question the need for so many ratios. I mean, in the Lexus the box is fantastic as I would define anyone to pick what gear the box was in as you are on the move. With the three speed boxes, you know when the changes take place, so it is obviously an antiquated design but would a five speeder, for instance, result in better pick up or economy ?

I guess my ideal combination in my Gleaming Beauty would be a turbo charged 4 litre Diesel with a five to seven speeder box to do all the shifting. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I guess my ideal combination in my Gleaming Beauty would be a turbo charged 4 litre Diesel with a five to seven speeder box to do all the shifting. Regards Styria

What happened to 6.9 religion?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A turbo charged 4 litre diesel :eek:

A 400SDL :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Well...yes Michel. It'd be a Merc Diesel as fitted to some their latest models. I believe that the torque figures are phenomenal. Besides, I pride myself on having an open mind. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well...yes Michel. It'd be a Merc Diesel as fitted to some their latest models. I believe that the torque figures are phenomenal. Besides, I pride myself on having an open mind. Regards, Styria

You realise that if you do that (putting a diesel nomatterwhatbrand in your 6.9) you would be excomunicated from TopKlasse.. :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, it will never happen - for a start, where is the money to come from, where is the rationale and, besides, I do have a spare engine sitting on the bench with reonditioned heads etc. So the closest I would ever come to any substantial alteration would involve an engine swap. So, I am safe. Regards, Styria

SELfor50

Just saw this.... The 6.9 is another beast hey Cam?!

BB was kind enough to give me a drive of his the other day... and the mountains of torque and how smooth it delivers is phenominal!! It kicks on to 100 in 1st gear no worries and then just keeps pulling.. I had to slow down not much after that..

But these ol' girls just wanna keep kicking on.

I'm waiting for the couple that are in Canberra to possibly come on the market in the coming year... I've heard a few whispers. ;)

22" and Airbags? F*k YEAH! :D
Metallic black, with blacked out grill, mirror tint windows.... not much else would come close..