EV or Not EV?

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I’m currently trying to decide what might be a good option for a daily. PHEV or maybe the new Nissan ePower??

Based on fuel savings alone, it could take BW 19-35 years to pay off the investment, so I doubt I’ll be upgrading anytime soon but rapid tech developments are no doubt interesting.

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, on your time and financial recovery calculations, at my age it is a no-brainer. Don't buy, especially when you consider:

a. Petrol and Diesels are becoming very frugal on a litres per kilometre calculation, especially when considering Hybrids. That configuration would probably be my next choice if and when I upgrade.

b. Once EVs get up in age, say six to eight years, what will be their value on the open market ? Certainly open to conjecture. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I’d only consider a hybrid but it seems to me the PHEVs do have issues with practicality. The new Nissan ‘concept’ seems logical but I wouldn’t call it radically economical to make it a worthwhile exercise. I’m leaning towards a Mazda, but only if it drives well & is practical in the real world

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Besides offering you a 14 tonne Volvo electric truck, which would probably take 250 years to break even, the best I have driven that gives unbelievable fuel economy, and has zero range issues is the new 23 Corolla hybrid.
I was in this car for a solid week, and by day 3 without even trying was getting high 2’s in fuel consumption.
The new models have quite a decent size and very usable battery, where the older models would only give you about 1km of battery driving only.
The new model is very smart compared to the old model in many ways, which I thought are brilliant.

As most of you know I have just got a new company X Trail.
Volvo looked at the “e power” as a greener alternative but it is as only roughly 1km /100k better on fuel than mine, but $15k more expensive.

As you said Mark, they are not that economical at all.
Driving to the airport at 3:30am this mornin, a mix of 110, 90, 80 and 60kms, the car returned 6.5L/100k.
pretty good for a bigger SUV.

But the new Corolla hybrid range is very smart and very economical.
you would easily be well under 5’s and down even better everyday.

A friend of ours bought a Lexus PHEV, it has a decent battery range of 90km, but after that, it’s extremely thirsty.

Mazdas are still suffering from bad road noise in their cars, which seems they can’t solve over the last 6-7 years or so.

Styria

The Godfather
Patrick, it's great and much appreciated to read of your truthful and informative opinions. Not always that easy to come by. Regards Styria

N.B. One could also use the word "Unbiassed"

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
In simple terms, Toyota has the lead in hybrids and is the most advanced, not to mention reliable.
We have two at home: a Camry hybrid and a Prius C.
Although they are both nearly 10 years old, the fuel consumption is amazing.
Driving as you should with a Hybrid, we achieve low 4s in the Camry and low 3s in the Prius.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That just goes to show how long Toyota has been perfecting the art of hybrids.
great results Michel.
Plus this shows how good batteries are for anyone worried about battery longevity.