Cvt?

More threads by BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Continuous variable transmission... CVT.
We have two vehicles in the household with them.
Both Toyota, both hybrids.
The larger one is a Camry hybrid, made in Australia, fitted with a CVT an the other is also a Toyota.
A small Prius, the C also with CVT.
It takes a bit getting used to the driving style required to get maximum benefit out of the hybrid and the CVT helps in the frugality of the fuel consumption.
We manage to get comfortably 3-3.5 litre per 100ks in the smaller Prius and 5-5.5 in the Camry.
The trick is not to keep your foot down and rev the engine continuously, rather take off in a burst. And then back off and feather the pedal all the time.

sean sherry

Master
No 2 Daughter has a Subaru Wagon for some 5 years now. Absolutely trouble free. I have been driven in it a few time and I am impressed with how smooth it is. No revving out roar, it just increases speed seamlessly. Nothing new about the design. A simple concept made possible by modern Electronics.

Styria

The Godfather
There are some horror stories circulating here, there and everywhere, particularly when related to the Nissan brand, also Honda and perhaps even the new Toyota Corolla. My understanding is that no one seems to know how to repair or refurbish them, and one would have to think twice before purchasing a used car with no manufacturer's warranty providing a safety net. Sean refers to the family's Subaru and with its inherent reliability, something that was confirmed by a Canada Bay Club employee as recently as the November Club meeting. But, he added, Subaru were the only Make not to experience problems.

The latest Honda Jazz is fitted with the CVT transmission, and it would stop us from purchasing the new model. Our present car, a 2013 Honda Jazz, is fitted with a conventional 5 speed Automatic which has proved entirely trouble free after some 50K. kilometres. I drove a Nissan Murano some two years ago, fitted with the CVT, and it seemed to perform satisfactorily. So, I guess, who really knows - I am certainly not a reliable expert but, nevertheless, I would probably want to steer clear of any car with that tranny in spite of its perceived brilliance in saving fuel etc. Regards. Styria

sean sherry

Master
Repairs ? I recall a Trade Night some years ago on Audi with :confused:CVT The only Service Parts were a Filter and a Pan Gasket. What to do if problems arose ? Buy a New Unit at then some $12000. It was quite a few years ago so my memory may not be 100% accurate, but that was the impression I came away with. Of course all today's Automatics are very expensive to repair.
A lot of Cars 5 years plus old are not worth spending 4..5 or 6. thousand plus $$$$$ to keep on the Road. That is why my old Transmission Shop in Brisbane closed the Doors after 50 years ,,no more rebuilds.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
If you are considering one take a long test drive with a variety of road conditions. I have driven 3 of them as rental cars and hated all three. It’s not they way they accelerate -you get used to that. It’s that they bog down when you really need them such as a freeway overtake. I couldn’t wait to hand the keys back.

sean sherry

Master
Son- in- law Roddy complained about the same thing with the Subaru. Shift the transmission with the gear lever I told him. Problem solved.:) Transmissions cannot see hill coming, the driver can and can then down shift manually. That is what the gear lever is there for, to over ride the Automatic system.
Same applies to conventional Torque Automatics, don't use kick down i.e., going to full throttle , us the gear lever over ride as necessary to down shift

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Or better still buy a manual.
Why we have to have automatics is beyond me. In the unlikely event that I become Supreme Leader, automatics will be available ONLY to those who can demonstrate an inability with one or other leg.
Regards,
Brian