Antennas

More threads by Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

This might seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good antenna replacement for my 280SEL...

You see a rogue overgrown tree branch (one of the trees in the driveway) one day decided to smack out my rear antenna... needless to say the antenna is broken in half and the tree ended up losing a limb :eek:

I looked in the usual places like Autobahn and uh, even Super Cheap Auto, to see if they had any antennas that looked like a good replacement but they were mostly el-cheapo generic ones or cheapy Ford/Commodore specific ones and just wouldn't look.... right IMO.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend either a good nice quality unit, preferably a powered antenna BTW, or maybe even an exact MB replacement if there's such a thing. :)

Cheers.

G

GreaseMonkey

Try MB Spares or internet/ebay search Hirschmann which is the original supplier to M-B and not expensive to replace.
C.M.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Thanks for that, looks like the Hirschmann is the way to go.

I just remembered the 450SE parts car here...then I realised that car is an "SE" and has the antenna on the front instead of the rear and probably has a way shorter cable, and so wouldn't work as a direct swap.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Andrew, anything new will set you back $100.00 plus - at least. That's if we are talking an electric unit. However, you can buy a new mast to fit your existing unit that's already in the car.

Unfortunately, I can't help you from here as I would need to see the make and type of Antenna you have. Even Hirschmanns have different types, and I bought a new mast the other day that only fits an earlier model, so I lost my money cold for the time being. You also need to watch out for hole openings on top of your rear guard - some Antennas require larger holes, such as the Harada type (I can get that for you - $95.00 plus freight), but once you have enlarged the hole, there is no going back to the Hirschmann type - they use a smaller hole.

Take your car to a competent Radio guy or Auto Electrician - they should be able to sort out things for you - in my opinion, care needs to be exercised if you are going to buy off ebay as you might finish up with an item that's not going to fit. Regards, Styria

Lukas

I bought a new power one that allegedly (according to the seller) fits w116es off EBay for $38 incl shipping from Hong Kong. It is in Oz while I am not, so I can't say if it actually fits, actually works, etc yet.

B

BAR

Firstly, most car parts / accessories shops will have complete items and some even have replacement components.

The telescopic masts can be replaced if you get the exact unit [they can vary in diameter and number of elements].

If you are handy with a pair of wire cutters you can attach any electric antannae to the MB wiring.

The major difference theses days is that new radios have lousy AM reception and they new antannae don't make it better.

here's one supplier of the mast: http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=11165+4294964948+1668+11921+9272

G

GreaseMonkey

What's wrong with the old favourite coathanger trick?
C.M.

OzBenzHead

Master
C.M.
Not exactly an aerial, but shows the versatility of the old coathanger.
11%20M-B%20Humour

Styria

The Godfather
C.M.

Nothing - Camira, Cortina, Colt, old Falcon and old Kingswood territory - and throw in a Morris Marina - to be faithful to the British product. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I bought a new power one that allegedly (according to the seller) fits w116es off EBay for $38 incl shipping from Hong Kong. It is in Oz while I am not, so I can't say if it actually fits, actually works, etc yet.

I bought one of those too.... ;)

Come to think of it, I don't recall where I put it..:confused:

Nütz

I thought of relocating mine which is on the front of the car to the more traditional rear section. Thoughts?

ant.jpg

Last edited: