A250 4-Matic Sport

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well I've had one of these, almost brand new, for the last week as a service loan vehicle and it was with some degree of satisfaction that I handed it back today and brought home my trusty ML. Getting back into the ML was like putting on a pair of comfortable boots; the fit is just right and everything is where it should be.
I was grateful to have the loan of the A250 with every conceivable accessory added but perhaps cars have moved on and I have not ....
Yes, it was a little pocket rocket and handled so easily but the motor is coarse compared to my Peugeot GTi6. Perhaps it would be a better car with a smoother Japanese motor or a few more Ks on the odo. I would kind of like it with a small inline 6.
Yes, the seating was comfortable, the stereo DAB radio superb and the fit and finish was exemplary. But, BUT: I needed the reverse camera to look out the rear, sideways vision was poor, the cabin was a tight fit and the convex mirrors did little to allow the driver to accurately assess distances.
Yes, the sunroof was nice; the gear paddles were delightful to use ....BUT
the ergonomics were a disaster with a speedo that reads up to 260 k in increments that were difficult to read; the dash reflected badly in the windscreen in full sun and I soon found the switch to turn off the eco-stop function. Leave that switch on and the damned thing rumbled when it started at every traffic light and the start was not quite instant.
The ride around the potholes of the inner city was sharp on the low profile tyres and the bloody front park sensors screamed at every speedhump that inner-city councils love - that is until I turned it off.
A nice car but not one I would want to live with; guess though I am not in the age bracket that it's aimed at. Oh, and imitation leather upholstery and carbon fibre dash trim? Really? And those aluminium pedals.....like I said; cars have moved on and I have not.
Last week I had a C250 wagon which was much better and more satisfying except it was crying out for a proper inline 6 engine to give the expected smoothness.
I called into another garage today to check on the progress of the PV for Sunday and a crusty old mechanic looked at the A250 and muttered something about MB milking the brand. I think I agree.
The GTi6 is a better piece of engineering even if trim bits fall like rain on a rough road...
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
Ditto Brian..... my Golf at $24000 is a better car..... Dollar for Dollar. A neighbour has a 250 Merc. , he is happy with it and I guess that's whats counts. Though he is the kind of guy who thinks everything he has is good and everyone else has made the wrong choice !

Helmet

Connoisseur
Well I've had one of these, almost brand new, for the last week as a service loan vehicle and it was with some degree of satisfaction that I handed it back today and brought home my trusty ML. Getting back into the ML was like putting on a pair of comfortable boots; the fit is just right and everything is where it should be.
I was grateful to have the loan of the A250 with every conceivable accessory added but perhaps cars have moved on and I have not ....
Yes, it was a little pocket rocket and handled so easily but the motor is coarse compared to my Peugeot GTi6. Perhaps it would be a better car with a smoother Japanese motor or a few more Ks on the odo. I would kind of like it with a small inline 6.
Yes, the seating was comfortable, the stereo DAB radio superb and the fit and finish was exemplary. But, BUT: I needed the reverse camera to look out the rear, sideways vision was poor, the cabin was a tight fit and the convex mirrors did little to allow the driver to accurately assess distances.
Yes, the sunroof was nice; the gear paddles were delightful to use ....BUT
the ergonomics were a disaster with a speedo that reads up to 260 k in increments that were difficult to read; the dash reflected badly in the windscreen in full sun and I soon found the switch to turn off the eco-stop function. Leave that switch on and the damned thing rumbled when it started at every traffic light and the start was not quite instant.
The ride around the potholes of the inner city was sharp on the low profile tyres and the bloody front park sensors screamed at every speedhump that inner-city councils love - that is until I turned it off.
A nice car but not one I would want to live with; guess though I am not in the age bracket that it's aimed at. Oh, and imitation leather upholstery and carbon fibre dash trim? Really? And those aluminium pedals.....like I said; cars have moved on and I have not.
Last week I had a C250 wagon which was much better and more satisfying except it was crying out for a proper inline 6 engine to give the expected smoothness.
I called into another garage today to check on the progress of the PV for Sunday and a crusty old mechanic looked at the A250 and muttered something about MB milking the brand. I think I agree.
The GTi6 is a better piece of engineering even if trim bits fall like rain on a rough road...
Regards,
Brian

I'd say this is a very accurate review of the A250

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Just continuing the theme of new Benz for a moment....
On the ML and CLK there is facility to unlock the door by key if the hand until fails but this feature does not exist on current models.
As a person who has washed several electronic keys by leaving them in pockets when clothes go into the washing machine, I have a vested interest in know if one can gain access to a car and start the engine if there is a malfunction or flat battery in the auto door opener?
By the way, I replaced the batteries on 3 sets of keys I have washed to no avail: MBS was able to resuscitate 2 of them and re-code them to the car without charge. Nice.
regards,
Brian

c107

and 111/116/124/126
On the ML and CLK there is facility to unlock the door by key if the hand until fails but this feature does not exist on current models.
As a person who has washed several electronic keys by leaving them in pockets when clothes go into the washing machine, I have a vested interest in know if one can gain access to a car and start the engine if there is a malfunction or flat battery in the auto door opener?
By the way, I replaced the batteries on 3 sets of keys I have washed to no avail: MBS was able to resuscitate 2 of them and re-code them to the car without charge. Nice.
regards,
Brian

what is the procedure if you have a dead flat battery on a newer one? Surely there is a way to open the car so you don't have to get it towed to the dealership?

Helmet

Connoisseur
regards,
Brian

My 2013 ML and 2016 GLC Coupe both have a barrel in one front door for access in case of key/battery failure

Styria

The Godfather
That was an excellent, no holds barred report on the A250. Surprised at the perceived coarseness of the engine, and the quality of the upholstery.

Regarding the key issue, my Holden Captiva has a lock barrel in the driver's door, plus another lock for the rear hatch in operation. In addition, there is a separate feature that allows the rear window to be lifted without opening the hatch as well. That is a nice feature, and well thought out. On later models, there is just a conventional hatch window. On my Captiva, the rear wiper arm and blade rest on a small boss clear of the rear window. ....just as an aside ! Regards. Styria