6.9 Photography

More threads by TJ 450

TJ 450

As promised, here are the pictures...

I would have liked for these to be more comprehensive, though I had a limited window of opportunity on this occasion.

front1.jpg

rear1.jpg

front2.jpg

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

The seats are MB Tex and replaced the rear leather and prior front replacement MB Tex seats that came with the car. They were in exceedingly poor shape.

The dash has been re-skinned, though it has seen a vast amount of sun since. The console was also re-dyed in the dark, distant past. I renewed the steering wheel, as the car did not come with one! It is the early type with the thin rim and chrome accent pieces. The pinstripe Becker Mexico is courtesy of myself and I refurbished the amplifier with audio grade capacitors. The source unit will be attended to next.

For the most part, I'm quite happy with the condition of the interior. The B Pillar trims will need restoration, as the vinyl is peeling in sections.

I will also need a remanufactured parcel shelf at some point, as I have made a temporary unit and covered it in blue felt.

Tim

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I like this colour very much....

Well done Tim.

Very Nice

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

Thanks Michel, that's 903 Blue. I'm not aware of seeing many W116s in this colour, as I suspect it was more of a 50's and 60's colour. In fact, there's a 190SL in that colour I see around here occasionly.

I think it's a great colour, even if I do say so myself.:cool:

Tim

bronzy935

Congratulations TJ 450; a great looking car. What is the finish of the plate that holds the suspension oil tank? Looks gold colour in the pictures. Is it paint or plated? What was the original finish? Mine is bare metal but looks like it might have been black paint once.

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

That bracket was cadmium plated, along with the fuel lines and other bits and pieces. That bracket was yellow zinc plated previously, as there was remnants of the original plating on the underside when I removed it. If I had my time again, I'd have the parts yellow zinc plated, as that was the original finish on most things (although maybe black as well in this case).

Tim

Andrew280SEL

Wow, that is indeed a very lovely looking car! You must be very proud.;)
Nice Becker too.

I like the dash. My dad has a blue 450SEL (not sure of the exact colour, a darker blue than this one though), however his dash looks very similar to yours (same colour even). Is it some sort of different material from the typical black (vinyl?) ones we see? It seems, though I could be wrong, to be more durable as my dad's blue dash has no cracks either.

Styria

The Godfather
Yeah, Tim's done a great job, but I suspect the greater percentage of his work is hidden in mechanical refurbishment ! Quite honestly, from what I had read at various times, I expected his car to be just....you know, so so. Its condition, as illustrated in the pictures, is quite remarkable. Yeah, well done.

That retaining plate is cad plated from new, as are many brackets and fuel lines and rods. I suspect the quality of the plating was marginal - I have seen very few 116 under bonnet pictures that are up to concours standards. Regards Styria

Lukas

Very nice, inside and out. I am a long way from that stage.....

I see zebrano trim and no wood in the centre console - is that factory or after-market? Ithought all 6.9s came with the walnut, and it was everywhere.

SELfor50

Some really nice shots there TJ. Captured very well.

Great work on the interior too, that's come up schmick! :cool:

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

Yes, the dash was reskinned Andrew. It's a darker blue than it should be and it does have a different texture. I have a spare dash that I'll probably have restored at some stage.

AFAIK, the zebrano and black console are original, as it is a July '76 build.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments guys. :)

A quality paint job and new rubbers will see the exterior approaching concours condition, although it has cleaned up very well.

Tim