shamwow

More threads by hoddo

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have a genuine chamois skin. It was given to me by the Ferrari Club on one of their outings some time ago. It is about as good as any commercial synthetic chamois. Synthetic chamoises are based on long chain polymerised alcohol chemistry. As alcohols are generally water soluble, the non woven fibres must be manufactured so that they do not dissolve, and rely on their micro fibre structure to be water absorbent. As a detailer, I have used several different brands of chamois, and they all appear to be equally competant at doing their job.

E200K

If you were to ask me I'd say throw away the chamois and get a MF waffle weave. They're as good, if not better, at absorbing water and wont induce scratching.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I agree with Benz Boy. A washing machine on gentle wash with cold water only is a perfectly good way of cleaning a chamois, synthetic or natural. As some of you may know. I detail new cars for a motor dealer. You DON'T need to leave spiderweb scratches in black paint with brand new black cars with a chamois with micro grit in it. On the job, I use our water blaster. Lay the chamois on a clean surface and blast it from about 6 to 8 inches vertically over the chamois. Any closer and the chamois is cut, any further away, and the jet becomes less effective.

John S

Thanks for the information guys, I shall try the washing machine and see how well it works.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Detergent is OK so long as the chamois is synthetic but ensure it is a mild one and use water no hotter than 40 degreees C.
Regards,
Home Hints R Us.
And yes, there is a difference between chamois brands. Cheap and cheerful will not absorb as much water as a thicker more expensive one. However, there are some super expensive ones that probably don't live up to their claims.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Detergent is OK so long as the chamois is synthetic but ensure it is a mild one and use water no hotter than 40 degreees C.
Regards,
Home Hints R Us.
And yes, there is a difference between chamois brands. Cheap and cheerful will not absorb as much water as a thicker more expensive one. However, there are some super expensive ones that probably don't live up to their claims.

Hi BenzBoy, 'nosy' Parker would be greatly appreciative if you could elaborate on names - that way, you could actually guide the 'unknowing' as to what product to buy. Sorry to be a bit of a pain. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Perhaps the reason I have failed to detect differences in quality of chamoises is because my employer cannot afford to supply us with poor quality ones.