Tyre advice!

More threads by Martin280s

Martin280s

Does anyone have any experience with Bridgestone tyres? I'm looking to fit either them or Goodyears to my W124 300E.
The final price is almost the same but, what about durability and performance?
I use GYs on my W116 without any problems. However, BS are really promoting their products and lowering the price to equal GY at the moment which makes them look attractive.

Comments please.

116Benz

Bridgestone, yes Turanza's on the Mazda3, so far have done 27,000 km's still grip well, great in wet weather, little bit rumbly noise wise though. B'stone Potenza GIII's on the MX-5, I've done about 40,000 km's apx. Just starting to show signs of needing replacement. Had GSD's on the 1st MX-5, great except had a tendency to aquaplane sometimes, very grippy, low noise and lasted 40,000km's as well. If it came down to it, I would go B'stone again. Nothing against Goodyears, but its more familiarity with the product.

s class

I'm a total Bridgestone fanatic - there is nothing to equal them for grip, steering response, and safety. The wear rate tends to be faster than some of the competition, but that's the price of performance.

Generally, the tyres are grouped into series :

Turanza series : high performance luxury touring. Probably the best choice for benz.

Potenza series : sports performance - I tend to find these a bit hard and crashy for benzes. I have potenzas on my Ford XR3, and also on my wife's opel Sport (car has since been hijacked).

B series (as in B380, B391 etc) : basic general use tyres.

I've had numerous sets of Turanzas on my 280SE and W140, and I'm extremely happy. I currently have Turanzas on the AMG and they are great. I tried Potenzas on the 280SE, but it was too hard, and the loss of comfort fas too great a price for the total uncompromising sports performance.

I even have B380's (or some such number) on my garden trailer.....

WGB

Bridgestones are what my ML500 came fitted with from the factory.

Never had a problem with any of them - excellent product and fitted to a lot of performance cars. They have a very good name in Australia.

Bill

John S

I had Bridgestone Turanza on my 3.8 supercharged Commodore as original equipment, replaced them at about 70 and 140,000k's so they wore well, plus I liked the grip and the lack of noise - I had block tread Klebers on a previous Commodore (highly recommended to me) but they were too noisy.

SELfor50

Forget bridgestone!

Get some Yokohama Advan A032R!! For the weight of these cars, nothing else i've used grips better! 1 set will last you at least 1 full day, maybe 1.5-2 if you're lucky!

Well worth their 'weight' in 116's. :D ;)

OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

Michelan are now promoting their brand and matching the offers from other suppliers...oh the free market...I do prefer Michelan over Bridgestone.

P.S.: Looks like I'm going to lose my job at the end of next month! Well, I could always dress in drag and work the streets if the worst comes to the worst!:eek:

116Benz

The indignity of it all! Just remember that if it comes to that that dark Chartreuse seersucker number will work, it brings out those special features. :D

For what it's worth on the black round rubber jobs, I havent had much to do with Michelins, BUT I spose theres a reson that MB fit them to their cars, mind you, they also fit Uniroyal's to some as well.

Des

About a year ago on one of my W123, it came time to get new tyres, I wanted Michelin tyres, they were about $130 each, the dealer convinced me to go Bridgestone Daytona's? I think they were called? $75 each, normally $110, but doing them cheap.

Had them on the car for about 20k's very impressed with the road holding ability, the grip is excellent,

for a cheap tyre they seem to be quite good.

s class

I've had michelins and bridgestones on my 280SE, and likewise on my W140 S500.

I really think the bridgestones are significantly superior to the Michelins in all respects except perhaps quietness and comfort. The grip of the bridgestones, especially in the wet is phenomenal.

I'm afraid I rate Michelin as a poor second best that I will only use if I have to.

B13

I'm a Yokohama convert - not mainly because of my use of R-spec tyres on my club race cars, but all the domestic tyres they make have lived up to or passed my expectations.

I was particularly impressed with the A509 and A539 back on Rotary engine road cars, however I think they have been succeeded by the AA01.

Always have had a soft spot Y352 RWL muscle car tyre. Have used them in 13" size on Mazdas with good results.

My 6.9 currently has american BFGoodrich T/A which works well on that car however the tyres are old and one is obviously flat-spotted - I can feel the vibration through the steering and no amount of balancing will fix it. In hindsight I wish I'd gone with Y352s on my 6.9

TeamW116 #2 the 450SE has 15" Bridgestone G'Grid tyres you'll be pleased to know they both corner hard and break traction with amusing ease... but they won't be staying for long until they get replaced with R-spec tyres.

I.

OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

I ended up putting on BF Goodrich, yes they are much quieter that the old ones. I was really surprised. I just now need to see how they perform.

I find that flat spots can be removed from tyres if you drive for a while on a hot day witht he right tyre pressure. Well, that's what I do with my W116 which spends more time in the garage than on the road.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I ended up putting on BF Goodrich, yes they are much quieter that the old ones. I was really surprised. I just now need to see how they perform.

I hope BF Goodrich have improved their handling and grip.

The last set I had was on a 1971 Chevrolet Camaro and although they rode beautifully, they handled like a sac of potatoes.....

I could not take off up a minor hill in wet weather. :(
You'd be spinnning all the time...

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, wouldn't that have been more of a design inefficiency rather than tyres ? You know, too much power for a live rear axle to cope with - assuming that they had a fixed axle. The early Monaros, and probably the next model as well, would behave exactly the same. Wet road, going uphill, and you're just spinning tyres.

I know we're not comparing apples with apples but one of the best cars to put power to the ground were the 1970's Rover 3500 and 3500S's with the De Dion rear suspension - beautifully comfortable, but also totally predictable handling wise under all conditions. Regards Styria

johnj

Hi all Can is say a top man from MB Germany used my 6.9 recently
It had Bridgstone tires on it. when I got the car back after 1
day He had Michelin tyers put on the car
The old tires were in the boot There were photos taken for
a magazine artical His coments translated to When you have the
best car you old use the best tires More on this latter
johnj

116Benz

Dont leave us in the lurch John, what happened? Top man from MB Germany, test drive, new rubber...details c'mon, we wont tell!!! Promise! :D

s class

Hi John,

I too would love to hear more about this German's opinion. I'm sure its an informed opinion.

Bridgestone vs Michelin has the potential to develop into an argument and that is not my intent. I think though we can agree that Michelin and Bridgestone are certainly different, with different strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day we each vote with our pockets, and I will continue to throw the crisp stuff in the direction of Bridgestone, but that's only my personal choice.

B13

The BFGoodrich T/As I'm running are hard and old and overly wide for my wheels... driving them in the wet takes much patience and practice. I'd guess they were better when new and the rubber was more pliable.

Takes a lot of skill to pilot a 6.9 with hard old tyres (of any make).

I.