The Chronicles Of Mercules - Body Repairs

More threads by Mercules

John S

Cam, I have been trying to think of how rust could occur in that particular location and it finally came to me that the front right sunroof drain that runs down the pillar may stop short in that spot so that’s where rain is directed instead of to the ground.

I was talking to Ben de Boer last night (Wed 30th) and he said that there are a few possibilities to check, the rubber drain pipe from the sunroof can crack due to age and the water drips into that area, the metal pipe from the sun roof can rust through where the rubber hose connects so the water leaks there, or the 'tray or frame' of the sunroof itself can rust at the edge and the water then drips into that front right area again. Ben mentioned that the headlining is easy to drop down a little at the sunroof opening and you can get a good look at the tray and see if it is rusted. I hope these comments are of some use as I would hate for rust to form again.

TJ 450

With the firewall rust, I suspect it starts at the seam and works its way up/down/across, possibly also at the bonnet cable entry point too. This could be due to an accumulation of dirt/leaves which might be mildly acidic when water enters the equation (which will pool in this area depending on how the car is parked on a slope from left to right, eg. in the street. This could also be responsible for RHS doors rusting out, as the drain holes are on the outer edge! This could also explain why the passenger side firewall is more often rusted out too).

Perhaps the contact adhesive used to secure the deadening material in the engine bay has the ability to hold some moisture too. Once the water is able to enter the cabin, I think this is when it rusts out the lower portion of the firewall where the moisture is retained in the foam. The floor pan is next in line!

Tim

6.9forever

Noble
I agree with everything TJ450 says based on my obs.

The rubber boot around the 6.9 suspension cable where it goes through the firewall on the LHS is a site of rust.

For many (most?) W116s nowadays, it's like Mercules said - the one without rust is the one that's been fixed.

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
I am absolutely stuffed after today...

I cleaned up the rest of the rust chopping next to the fusebox then made some cardboard templates

04052008.png

04052008001.png

I then spent about 2 hours looking for some sheet metal - everything I found was either aluminium or galvanised - the guy in the unit next door had a small sheet so I chopped and hacked then welded and grinded my way into oblivion.

04052008004.png

04052008005.png

If you think it looks nasty then you are very observant... as a welder I make an amazing country music singer! As bird-sh#tty as it looks, it is very very strong and once smoothed and painted it will be fully sick mate. My brother spent the day cleaning up then cutting out the wheel wells - the previous rust repair on the O/S was holding strong but the steel it was welded to was hole-ier than the Pope. Has all been cut out and once the other side is done we can remake the floors.

My brother couldn't help himself... there were some 19" Volk Racing wheels off a GTR Skyline just sitting around so whe sat them on the hubs...phat!

04052008002.png

04052008003.png

More next weekend!

John S

What a great job you are doing on the body Cam - in the distant future I hope that the dints from the hailstorm pop out easily when you get around to the cosmetics.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi JohnS, it's one of those jobs where you couldn't blame anyone from holding their arms up in the air and just chucking it in. Mercules has already shown to many of us what he is capable of doing and the speedy manner in which he can work.

As far as the hail damage is concerned, I have offered to him the boot lid that you passed onto me a little while ago. That may help a little. Regards Styria

SELfor50

Nice wheels mate, definately phat!

Great work on the rust repairs, you're crankin through this.

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Excellent news today - my brother invited his mate (a sparypainter) over to have a look at it for me and give me some opinions on the windscreen rust repair and the work I had done so far... he also took a paint smaple and is mixing up a litre of paint for me so I can re-spray the rust repairs and under the bonnet!

Here was me thinking I was just going to put on a coat of matt black and pull it apart later for proper painting!!!

Looks like the front end re-assembly will commence on Saturday afternoon and hopefully by Sunday it will be driveable and the rear rust well on its way to being eradicated!!!

Can't wait for the weekend now - driving my Mrs' Corolla is drving me bonkers

Cam

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Big progress made today... this is how we started out.

P5100259.png

I had a dig around the passenger side and found some rust starting!

P5100261.png

Sorted that out ans prepped it up - hit it with some primer first

P5100264.png

Voila - fresh coat and no rust to be seen!

P5100266.png

P5100267.png

Passenger side back together

P5100269.png

Got the fusebox in and the harness thru... now to wire up the fuse blocks!

P5100268.png

I am stuffed after today... excuse me while i collapse on the floor :(

John S

I continue to be impressed Mercules, I'm really looking forward to seeing it at a 116 get together (If I can come in a 210).

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Well - the engine bay rust repairs are complete and I am really pleased with the result... just goes to show what a lack of cash and a leaking car can make a man do!

P5110255.png

Whilst the battery was out I cleaned up the tray as well

P5110254.png

Now that the engine aby is done I can get around to fixing some other things. Repairing the wheel wells in the boot is my next goal...

P5120264.png

Here is one I prepared earlier :D

P5120262.png

THen I have to do the jacking peg holes... all four of them!

P5120265.png

... and then a little up the front

P5120266.png

This is going to be my priority until rego... stay tuned for more!

Cameron

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done mate, :cool:

If you ever needed a weekend job, just let me know :D

Styria

The Godfather
Well Mercules, there's some serious work and tasks you have gotten out of the way, and that you have achieved. Imagine what it would have cost if you had to pay commercial rates for what you have attended to up to now.

It is no wonder that cars fall by the wayside, and quite often finish up at the wrecking yards. By the way, I am not suggesting that this should have been done with your car, but anyone with lesser ability and fortitude would have found this job pretty daunting. Regards Styria

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Well - the last of the rust & bare metal up under the dash disappeared this evening as the final lashings of Killrust were brushed on. Thank god! What a mammoth task! :eek:

I had a visit from Styria this afternoon and whilst the banter rolled on into the evening, the dashbard and A-pillar moulds found their way home. Damn, that wiring is a prick of a job! Huge thanks to Mike for his wealth of knowledge, experience AND his grab packs of Mercedes nuts'n'bolts.

You sure know your W116's Styria and I really appreciate your time tonight! ;)

Cam

John S

Cam, I saw and photographed Styria's 6.9 when he gad the dash, centre console, seats, you name it - all out of his car and it seemed that there were masses of wires, cables and vacuum tubes going everywhere. I never thought that he could ever get it back together again, so you really have an expert on hand if Styria's around.

Styria

The Godfather
Well guys, I have to be honest - I did very little in the overall scheme of things when I helped out the other night. Mercules is pretty 'handy' - let me assure you. It was mainly a matter of re-fitting dash and instrument panel and it does help a little if you have four hands shoving it back in instead of just the two. It also helps if you're dealing with the existing dash which can be manhandled more easily rather than a newly recovered unit.

I was also particularly impressed with the dashboard cover that fits over the existing dash pad. Very neat and tidy and certainly looks the real thing - quite remarkable. Would anyone know where they could be bought ?

There are a couple of considerations that arise from Mercules now being the owner of this 450SEL. First of all, his resolve in dealing with the rust issues in such a speedy and effective manner, the quality of the work itself which leaves nothing to be desired, plus the fact that he has saved this car from finding its way into a wrecker's yard and never to be seen again. In many ways, this would have been too good a car to finish up in that manner as mechanically it is in very sound condition. Well done, Cam. Regards Styria

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Spent the day cleaning up the drivers & passengers front floors - little bit of surface starting in a few places... found another few holes that need attention though :mad:

By the end of the day I had treated the floors to some rust conveter and then a nice coat of Killrust matt black. I also bought some rubber matting to cover the floor & firewall - also a couple of nice thick door matts (with :rolleyes:Welcome:rolleyes: mouded into them) to padd out the floor around the rear heater vent pipes!!!

Will have some pics when the chopping is complete!

When I pulled out the dash I failed to see the centre vent-flap lever connection (made from piss-weak plastic) and in my haste I broke it. (Had it not been for Styria I would never have noticed it!) Using a little M5 bolt and locking nut, I bent up a replacement and it works a treat... if I could get the camera up under the dash you would be looking at a photo of it right now!

More soon,

Cameron