Something like this Packard

More threads by motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I recently said when I am happy with my 6.9 I would love to have a straight 8 Packard. While the 30's models I love are unfortunately a little to desireable to be purchased at an acceptable rate to me. Something like this sound but needing restoration 1954 Super Clipper sedan on US eBay at US $5000 buy it now fits the bill. I want a sedan not coupe which lowers price point a fair amount in US. And 54 is last year I would look at as 55 they were no longer Packard's . Just Big Studebakers with there engines. Being a Super Clipper means it has best I8 the 327 with 9 bearing crank. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Sup...a4c1edcef&item=181665717487&pt=US_Cars_Trucks Add claims car has 48000 original miles. I would take that with a grain of salt but it looks sound enough. When I am ready to look for something along these lines I would ask for advise on shipping and importing. And yes I have checked kits are available for these models with regards Air,Disc Brakes and 12 volts.

Attachments

• $_3.jpg
    $_3.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 8
  • $_4.jpg
    $_4.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 6
  • $_5.jpg
    $_5.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 6
  • $_6.jpg
    $_6.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 7

sean sherry

Master
Looks fine in the photos and is probably ok. Is the Auto Box an Ultramatic ?
If so I would try to get an assurance that it is operating properly.... Cold and Hot. These were not a common Auto in their day and parts could be a problem. Then again if the next models were rebadged Studebakers , maybe they were then using BorgWarner 12s. A very robust Auto.

CraigS

My brother is currently doing the upholstery on a 1930's Packard built specially for Amelia Earhart. He is going to send me some photos eventually so will post them. Apparently the hubcaps have AE engraved into them, rather than the Packard logo. It must be around a 1933 or 1934 model as I think she disappeared in 1935.

sean sherry

Master
Again , The Cast Iron Hydramatic is a very very robust Transmission. I used to source hard Parts for Bentley and R.R. from the local Military Wrecker , Stag Hounds used this Transmission. Needless to say, Parts from the Dealers cost more than the Cars were worth , ..back in the olden Days !.. As a matter of interest , Lincoln Continentals also bought in the Hydramatics around 1950. Later they produced B.W. units under the guise of Ford- O - Matic.

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes found repairer online for them in US .they charge about $3500 changeover with 2 year warranty for Hydramatic's apparently they produce there own parts. But once I am happy with 6.9 with engine and paint I will just drive it. So will probably start looking seriously in a year or so. Even though I have really started already . To tell the truth don't really care about high power anymore . This 6.9 will probably be last car to go to this level. Just I started years ago when it meant everything and had to sell that car. So now it is seen as uncompleted business . With this car I bought last year. I have no intention of selling it just I am driven to complete it and will not be happy until it is how I envision it to be. If that makes sense. If I could budget to a early 30's Packard I would over early 50's . But 50's straight 8 would still make me very happy.

sean sherry

Master
Yes I have got to hand it to this Transmission Guy ... a Heart like a lion. When I was working on most of them in the fifties and Sixties, parts were available, both new and used ( via buying Boxes from the Wreckers. ) Good idea to swop out Dyna-flows, they were the biggest slush boxes ever made. No gears in the Box, all done through a complex Torque Convertor. Any competent local Transmission Shop ( some one with Grey Hair ) could sort the Hydramatic. It is not brain surgery. If it is operating with four gears and a Reverse, a Master Kit ( all bushes , thrust washers , seals etc., should sort it. Bands and clutches should be available, also the Cone Clutch for Reverse.
But ,fingers crossed , maybe it will be ok for a Club Car.
Fresh oil and a Can of Wynns Transmission treatment often helps old Transmissions over the line. My '81 SL 4 speed Merc went away happy.