Saab prime movers

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I usually go GA GA when looking at trucks, locos, ships and planes. Probably fifteen months ago, I went to Sydney Motorsport Park and marvelled at some of the absolutely beautiful monster trucks - the ones that carry the race cars and all of the teams' equipment.

One particular make of truck I find of interest are the two Saab Prime movers. This is the type I am talking about :

P1010073_zpsr0rxqm0m.png

Ever wondered what's behind the façade, such as bull bar, grille etc. ? I had the opportunity to photograph one the other day. It's amazing just how huge all components are.

P1010071_zps9wgg7xvg.png

Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

sean sherry

Master
GM were no orphans....Ford Built a Jaguar on a Mondeo Chassis and even called it a Jaguar !

Saab was built on an Opel or Vauxhall something or other.

Nothing new in all this.... USA built R. R Cars. Phantoms I think.

Steinway Pianos were Agents for and built the first Mercedes into the USA,
in the early 1900s about 100 examples. One survives at the Mercedes Museum in New Jersey.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Sean yes they are not alone. But my comment pertains to the Truck not being a SAAB or even a Scania . Its a Freightliner from the US and Daimler . :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
GM were no orphans....Ford Built a Jaguar on a Mondeo Chassis and even called it a Jaguar !

Saab was built on an Opel or Vauxhall something or other.

Nothing new in all this.... USA built R. R Cars. Phantoms I think.

Steinway Pianos were Agents for and built the first Mercedes into the USA,
in the early 1900s about 100 examples. One survives at the Mercedes Museum in New Jersey.

Ahem, ahem....
The Americans put together Springwood Ghosts and early Phantoms but the mechanicals all came from the R-R factory in Derby - all the Americans did was to make and dress the body.
GM has managed to kill almost everything it has owned in the last 20 years - it's a rather stupid conglomerate of money men playing at making cars and ending up needing to be bailed out by the US Government.
Ford has not been much better although they did make Jaguars reliable by buying in parts such as airconditioning units from Nippon Denso (Toyota) the same was as Benz has done for many years.
Cars should be made by people who are engineers rather than bean counters and gung-ho middle managers.
Here endeth my rant for today.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
But the real point is the Truck is not a SAAB they never made them .Trucks were Scania. Its not a Volvo or Swedish truck its not even made in Europe. Its a US made Daimler .:p

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Not being pedantic but correct identification of brand would be nice. Oh in Wollongong at moment seeing relatives.:D

abl567

Super Moderator
Warning:

Security systems have detected repeated backslapping, high alert activated.

Continued backslapping will result in general agreement and a likely GTG

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Warning:

Security systems have detected repeated backslapping, high alert activated.

Continued backslapping will result in general agreement and a likely GTG
With Motec in town (or close by) a back-slapping GTG sounds like a grand idea! Maybe lunch at a pub or club in the next week before Motec escapes?
Regards,
Un-Moderatable....:eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I will be driving up to Coffs next Wednesday. And returning on the 14th I don't need to be in Canberra for a training course till the 17th so we can see.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I really think that some of you missed the point. Who really cares whether or not the first picture illustrated a Freightliner, or Saab or Scania - whatever. Sure enough, so Saab does not, or did not, produce a truck, although I seem to recall that Saab Scania were always mentioned in one breath.

The point, gentlemen, is really this - how many of us have seen in reality what really lies behind the façade, the bull bar, the grille - and, to be sure, the partially dismantled truck is in fact a...well, not a Saab, but a Scania. That's what this post is all about. BTW, the automatic spell checker tells me that I have spelled Scania incorrectly. No such problem with SAAB. :D Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
He he . Yes until the 90's when Scania sold the car division to GM they were called Scania SAAB trucks. And the first one is a Freightliner. The dismantled one may be a Scania. Now to really blow your mind Volvo now owns Mack trucks and they have the same engines now. http://www.macktrucks.com/about-mack/

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I suppose I could just drive up to blow the raspberry in your face now. As I am in Wollongong at the moment. :D

sean sherry

Master
Automatic Spell Checker Styria ?? Is it on this site somewhere ?
I'm constantly hopping back and forward to email Site for a Spell Check.
Luckily my Wife can spell when she is near.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Works for me . Don't use it much but it does work. I have an edifmication. :p

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If you are running Windows 7 Professional or higher then there is a spell check for forums.
Regards,
Brian

BenzBoy, that's exactly what I am running. Mind you, I was obviously unaware of this feature. Ah well, pays to pay xtra. Ah, there is the spell check - it should be extra. :D Bully for you, Sean......:p No offence, buddy.