Original Fuchs v. replica 14" alloy wheels for W116 and R/C107

More threads by 6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
I have original Fuchs alloys on the 6.9 (6.5J x 14H2) with part number 1084001002. There was a different part number for narrower 5.5 and 6.0J etc on lower models, plus other part numbers for spare parts sets with centre cap, metal stem valve and bolts. All NLA, and some 15" versions available (perhaps) ex-MB Classic Center USA.

I presently have replica Italian 6.5J x 14H2 on the 450SLC that were fitted when the car was 10 years old, it having Kronprinz OEM steel rims before (which need spherical collar bolts P/N1104010170, diff to alloy wheel ones as they are shorter etc), as option code 640 for alloys is absent on the car's plate.

Anyway, if you are ever dealing with these alloy rims here is the point of this post: Be especially aware that they need different studs/bolts/screws, whatever you want to call them to attach the wheels to the car, whether they are original Fuchs or replica alloys, and steel rims different again.

The Italian alloy rims take a conical collar bolt that does NOT engage safely in the Fuchs alloy attachment holes. The Fuchs MUST have spherical collar bolts (part 1084010070, 5qty. x M12 x 1.5 x 29.5(L) size per wheel, or you run the risk of either under-tightening or stripping the thread as the bolt collar must engage the profiled hole entry (which is steel-lined on the beautifully made forged Fuchs).

In one of the attached pics, the incorrect (darker colour, hollow-head) conical Italian bolt has been temporarily put through the Fuchs wheel hole to show it does not engage properly (see the gap under the head) compared to the correct (more silver, solid-head) bolt next to it.

I am sourcing Fuchs wheels/bolts for the SLC and then the Italian jobs will be for sale.

Attachments

• 1084010070_reduced.jpg
    1084010070_reduced.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Bolt comparison inserted_reduced.jpg
    Bolt comparison inserted_reduced.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Bolt comparison_reduced.jpg
    Bolt comparison_reduced.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 11

Styria

The Godfather
I have original Fuchs alloys on the 6.9 (6.5J x 14H2) with part number 1084001002. There was a different part number for narrower 5.5 and 6.0J etc on lower models, plus other part numbers for spare parts sets with centre cap, metal stem valve and bolts. All NLA, and some 15" versions available (perhaps) ex-MB Classic Center USA.

I presently have replica Italian 6.5J x 14H2 on the 450SLC that were fitted when the car was 10 years old, it having Kronprinz OEM steel rims before (which need spherical collar bolts P/N1104010170, diff to alloy wheel ones as they are shorter etc), as option code 640 for alloys is absent on the car's plate.

Anyway, if you are ever dealing with these alloy rims here is the point of this post: Be especially aware that they need different studs/bolts/screws, whatever you want to call them to attach the wheels to the car, whether they are original Fuchs or replica alloys, and steel rims different again.

The Italian alloy rims take a conical collar bolt that does NOT engage safely in the Fuchs alloy attachment holes. The Fuchs MUST have spherical collar bolts (part 1084010070, 5qty. x M12 x 1.5 x 29.5(L) size per wheel, or you run the risk of either under-tightening or stripping the thread as the bolt collar must engage the profiled hole entry (which is steel-lined on the beautifully made forged Fuchs).

In one of the attached pics, the incorrect (darker colour, hollow-head) conical Italian bolt has been temporarily put through the Fuchs wheel hole to show it does not engage properly (see the gap under the head) compared to the correct (more silver, solid-head) bolt next to it.

I am sourcing Fuchs wheels/bolts for the SLC and then the Italian jobs will be for sale.
A most enlightening post by David. I am pleased to relate that iI was able to supply, and David bought, a set of genuine Fuchs Bundts a couple of years ago. They were in great condition. Regards Styria