New Arival in the family

More threads by 116Benz

116Benz

New Arrival in the family

Dont get too excited, it's not a Benz, BUT it's the next best thing. Took delivery today of a Mazda CX-7, as an added bonus, the seller left his 20 inch rims on it, and supplied the original 18 inch jobbies as well.
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg

Last edited:
OP
116Benz

116Benz

This car is quick though, comes alive a tad more in manual mode too. Father has claimed for his car, he's kinda proud of it (having a 61 yr old hoon as a parent can have benefits)

Axel Foley, Beverly Hlls Cop, and the Mercedes was a Sig. Red 380SL :D

Styria

The Godfather
You know, 116Benz, nothing against any of those SUV's - in my opinion, today's offerings by way of new cars are absolutely brilliant - never mind the possible lack of stirring heart and soul and, in my case, lack of funds, but I ask myself why do they all look alike and is it our Oriental cousins that are forcing the styling onto us ? Your Mazda, Audi Q7, Lexus, Subaru - they all look the same - I have probably forgotten a couple.

I never cease to be amazed at the 'cloning' that is so prevalent nowadays - Honda Jazz and 'A' class, the ML range and all the other manufacturers that have taken their styling clues from the ML, the C-Class that has been copied by the Koreans - I don't know, I guess I'm just a bit old fashioned and prejudiced.

In my opinion, as far as 4 wheel drives are concerned, nothing touches the latest Range Rover as far as styling is concerned. I also believe they are brilliant drives but, of course, how long for ? Their reputation from a reliability point of view is abysmal. Anyway, enough from me - how does the Mazda drive - is it as comfortable to ride in as a normal Saloon or are there some shortcomings or concessions on that score. Interested in your opinion. Regards Styria

OP
116Benz

116Benz

One thing Range Rover have done is stuck to the evolution of design. The current Rangie looks and feels like its capable of doing the job of its intended funtion. The Range Rover Sport feels the same, as is the Freelander. The only downfall is that they suffered, reliability wise. With TATA being the new owners, I hope that improves, Ford money did go someways to fixing the problem, but not entirely. Something the Germans can feel smug about, and to the same degree the Japanese is in those areas. The CX-7? Drives rather well, the previous owner put some big wheels on it, purely for looks, I wouldnt be brave enough to go near some goat tracks in the current state. handles very very well, a little bit jiggly on small imperfections, but I put that down to the footwear again. I've driven a few CX-7/ CX-9's and in stock form, they handle well. They run a 2.3 turbo, 175kw. But, as they were part of Ford, they use Volvo's anti-roll over programme as part of the stablity package.

Styling copy cat? Back when I was a staunch Benz loyalist. I used to look at the Lexus LS400, which had alot of Benz cues, what made it more laughable was that Toyota used 2 W124 bodies and slid their drivetrain & suspension in underneath for testing purposes. AND they also did teardowns on 2 Silver Spirits to see why they were so quiet. Fast forward to now, the current LS, looks very similiar to the W140 Benz. Depending on how you look at it, copycat styling can either be flattering or insulting.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations on your new acquisiton.....
Not a Benz, but as long as you are happy...:D

OP
116Benz

116Benz

Thanks Michel, yeah very happy with it, the only serious mod that I plan down the track is provision for an ipod.

OP
116Benz

116Benz

Nah Andrew, no plans to replace the 280SE, the SEL, so far is going to be the donor car for a few upgrades.