Mobil 1 - no longer used by M-B

More threads by WGB

WGB

In two weeks time I will be driving up to Carnarvon for a Lodge/Boys weekend with the same gang I have done the trek with the previous two years.

Last year I took my wife's ML320CDI and easily travelled the 950 km from my place via the pickup point in Scarborough to Carnarvon on 1 tank with 150 km left on the trip computer.

This year I am planning on taking my E500 and delved into the buttons to see when it needed a service. I was pleased to see that M-B have returned to 25,000 km service intervals and that I had 13,000 km to go before the next service.

At these service intervals I have in the past performed a midway oil and filter change so I wandered down to Diesel Motors to purchase a new original filter and find out what oil they use.

I was surprised to find that M-B have officially stopped using Mobil 1 due to oil consumption in AMG models (apparently reported only in Australia - do we drive that slowly) and have moved over to using an M-B branded fully synthetic oil apparently produced by Fuchs.

The 5.5 litre M273 motor takes 8.5 litres for an oil change so $241 poorer I left with 10 litres of M-B (Fuchs) 5W-40 and an oil filter.

Good bye Mobil 1 obviously.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I understood about 2009 that the licenced agreement was to expire in 2011 and that Mobil would be moving inot bulk sales through auto-shops and chains like KMart. Mobil stopped supplying independents about 20-18 months ago and Castrol (owned by BP) quickly took their place.
Is there any more to the story? Don't know.
And then I discovered this - but maybe it is out of date - http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mercedes_Benz_Collection.aspx
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

CraigS

Bill. Curious as to why you didn't just go to the local parts store and buy Mobil 1. Obviously you had no concerns with your car, so why change, and pay a premium, to go to the MB product ? The logic escapes me.

OP
WGB

WGB

Hi Craig,

I have no concerns about oil consumption with my car as it has used no oil whatsoever in 12,000 km . I was a little concerned as the M273 is the first new petrol M-B that has been fitted with a dip stick that I have owned in the past 9 years.

I went into the local Auto1 and Mobil 1 0W-40 was $97 for 5 litres. The old price was $75 but replacements seem to have gone up.

Armed with that price (The owner of the shop is my neighbour so I would have got a discount if I'd asked) I then went to the agents for the filter and sometimes in the past their oil prices have been cheaper for some reason.

I was surprised to learn about the change in oil as in the past (the last 10+ years) a big fuss has always been made about using Mobil 1 in it's various varieties for the different models.

My car is already running on the Fuchs oil and the next time it is serviced by the agent it will be used so I am only continuing to use the same at about the same price as the retail price for Mobil 1.

Due to the cost of this car and my advancing years I am planning to keep this car for 8 years instead of my normal 4 so I would like to know the timing chain will last for a possible 200,000 km.

Bill

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Guys, just bear in mind that the Mobil 1 synthetic MB uses is likely to be their Euro blend or formula and that oils change from country to country due to climate and environment differences as well as additive laws.

This explains a few things including the consumption issues in Aussie cars and I have found this to be true in past instances.

Id suggest that perhaps MB dealers were buying Mobil one from Mercedes Benz and receiving the Euro blend in Australia and perhaps this arrangement was no longer possible and/or dealers were supplementing their MB sourced stock with the local product in bulk and this was causing issues?

Bulk oil has and will continue to be a source of interesting "Issues" in the motor trade which was why I never used or bought it for my shop relying on 60 and 200 litre drums as well as packaged 5 lt stock.

It was expensive to keep stocks but this was more than offset in client confidence and profits.

Fuchs make a good product and id confidently use it as I have in the past along side Nulon, Penrite and Amsoil for the connoisseurs.

Oil's aint oil's has more truth to it than most think.