In-Depth guide to 6.9 emission control

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Many times I have wished that I would know more how to hook up the various vacuum pipes and switches pertaining to the Australian complied 6.9s.

I have had this information in my Document Folder since God knows how long. The following seven pages may assist in sorting out various emission control issues. Regards Styria

file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/IMGEmission%20Control%20System.pdf

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay Bryce, will do. Thanks for letting me know. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Emission equipment is almost a dark art! I know I had all sorts of issues on my XE when I got it probably since the PO swapped in a worked motor then put the original back in when he sold it.

I have a copy of a 6.9 Aussie emissions booklet but I think it’s fairly general & probably doesn’t show all the fittings etc.

EGR will probably never work again unless you pull off the heads & clean out all ports thoroughly. No loss of course!

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I thought I’d posted some info on this before, but I searched every post I’d ever made here & alas it must’ve only been an addition to some other posts & not a stand alone topic. This is some info I’ve found so far from the microfiche. Copies of copies so the quality isn’t great. I’ll add my supplement info when I dig it out. This isn’t all the info available; just an overview & something interesting about vac line ID. It’s a shame it seems you can no longer buy nylon tubes in the original size & particularly in the correct colours.

IMG_9950.jpegIMG_9951.jpegIMG_0040.jpeg

Oversize

Grand Master
This copy’s seen better days! I’m sure I have one in better condition somewhere….

Interesting that the air injection diagram is really only indicative on how the system operates. The actual channel bw the heads is through the centre of the inlet manifold & more often than not would be completely blocked by carbon within a few years of operation. Once the airpump seizes from a lack of decent lubrication & other valve failures, the channels in the heads would quickly block up & the only way to correct the issue is head removal. If you add the EGR system to the mix, the engine will slowly choke itself. I often wondered why people were so against the emission gear since it was designed to cut out at full throttle anyway. Perhaps others weren’t aware of this fact? Certainly the EGR pipe under the too-small-for-the-engine throttle plate affects air flow. Now I’ve come to realise the system has numerous points of failure & carbon deposits are a very real issue. Carbon deposits on every intake surface significantly affects performance. This carbon layer would become thicker every time you turn the key and worse still on short drives with long periods on a closed throttle.

It’s likely the designers never really considered the longevity of the system. It was designed to clean emissions, however in the real world it just makes the inside of the engine filthy and robs it of the power it once had when it rolled out of the showroom.

IMG_0094.jpegIMG_0095.jpegIMG_0096.jpegIMG_0097.jpeg