6.9 Auction on Monday

More threads by Jammer

J

Jammer

Hi Guys

Well here we go. Monday this one goes up for auction.

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=R3WB80429J9E87A1

You may recall the discussion on the history of this one. Bought from Jeff Kennett for $5000 etc etc and had a clean up etc etc.

Its always good to see in an open and public auction what one of our beloved cars will fetch.

I don't think there is any point in discussing what its actually "worth" of course. Perhaps its time for us to just sit back and remember that this will always be more fun than stamp collecting!

Cheers

John

OzBenzHead

Master
[...] this will always be more fun than stamp collecting!

Exactly! Someone recently asked me what was the use of collecting old cars. My response was "How often can you re-use a stamp?". He still didn't get it (but then he is a philatelist - no sense of humour at all). :rolleyes:

OP
J

Jammer

Good Hunting BenzBoy

OK - Benzboy!

Good luck with it. I know the one you are going for.

The one you are going to bid on is a "restored" vehicle. The other is "original" but they are both going for about $20K

This will be an enlightening day!

As I said - I really hope you get it! The engine bay looks AWESOME!!!!!

Cheers

John:)

Styria

The Godfather
I guess to a certain degree this is all history now - until the car comes up for sale again, or possibly it may have changed hands privately - who knows.

However, a reliable source did in fact attend the auction, and confirmed that at the top bid of $28k., the auctioneer indicated "Sir, the car cannot be sold at this price". Very interesting. My contact who certainly owns a very nice 6.9, and knows his way round cars, indicated that the car had a 'good' respray, and if his own car would rate a 10, he'd have given the auction car 6/10 !

He also saw the 6.9 displayed in the exhibition hall during the week prior to the auction - nose on ground, and a puddle of hydraulic oil on the floor. Food for thought. Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Speaking about stamps coins, they comsume much less money than cars to mainain. I have been collecting coins for 51 ! years now. Back in 1976, I sold the bulk of my then existing collection, which made up the 10% deposit on my first house. That collection today would have to be worth at least AUD $100,000. The value of my 6.9 has not grown at anywhere near the pace of my existing collection. I still have the first coin that started my collection when I was 12 years old.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Speaking about stamps coins, they comsume much less money than cars to mainain. I have been collecting coins for 51 ! years now. Back in 1976, I sold the bulk of my then existing collection, which made up the 10% deposit on my first house. That collection today would have to be worth at least AUD $100,000. The value of my 6.9 has not grown at anywhere near the pace of my existing collection. I still have the first coin that started my collection when I was 12 years old.

But, can you ride in your collection?

Drive like a hoon when you so desire (Not that I am implying you do)?

Ride in the magic carpet ride (that's what I call a 6.9 suspension)?

:D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

Last edited: