450SLC for $6k5 - Good Deal?

More threads by Lukas

John S

Unregistered, in another state (so must go over the pits), rust, interior ratty, engine area looks neglected, $500 in my opinion - then only if you want to spend a lot of time and money on a major rebuild.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
SLCs don't seem to get too much money nowadays (I've been on the lookout for an SL or an SLC).
This particular model is in my opinion slightly over priced, considering it needs a full respray (it had been sitting at a Body Shop awaiting a respray after someone torched the cover it had) and a bit of rust removal.

I feel $2-3K is max value.

I think he won't even get one bid.

Sad... but this is the situation with the MBs.
They have become aplenty and thus do not hold their value any longer :rolleyes:

OP
L

Lukas

SLCs don't seem to get too much money nowadays (I've been on the lookout for an SL or an SLC).

That's the thing - if you look on carsales and the likes, good (superficially at least) examples are still $10k+, and often with quite high kms, so given the state of this one you can see the seller's angle.

You also don't see many of them in fixer-upper state.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That's the thing - if you look on carsales and the likes, good (superficially at least) examples are still $10k+, and often with quite high kms.

And you see them there for months and they don't sell......:rolleyes:

TJ 450

The market for these cars is also very small these days. Supply exceeds demand.

At 10 - 15K, those sellers must be living in the '90s, unless of course the cars are in Concours condition.

With SLCs in particular, there appears to be a rather high percentage of rust buckets. They are very attractive cars nonetheless.

Tim

BenzBoy

Grand Master
At one stage I looked seriously for an SLC or SL and could not find an example on sale at any price that was not rusty. Good ones tend not to change hands very often. Why are so many of them rusty? Is it a design problem or is it that people have neglected them?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Regarding BenzBoy's findings. It is an inescapable fact that these 107s of the seventies are now thirty years old. Consequently, something has got to give in the rust department, doesn't it ? Furthermore, at times, they seemed to be owned by the wrong people. By that, I mean that the cars do not get the proper attention both body and interior wise. So many times I have come across situations where "my mate knows all about this, and that", when in fact he, or they, do not have an appreciation of what is right, what is wrong, and they are only concerned in achieving a fix as cheap as possible. Well, in the long run, that just doesn't work.

This particular car can best be described as a back pocket burner, and not much more than that. Money to be spent everywhere, but it will find a home with someone who can "fix them cheaply". At least with this car, one can see the condition and walk into the deal with open eyes. I have pitied owners who bought an SL or SLC 'beautifully' presented and then some months later discover that they have bought an absolute millstone, or 'hip pocket burner'. I well remember a guy that had paid $15K. for a signal red 350SL that looked absolutely great from a distance of ten meters. Once you got close, and once you started 'poking about', it was an unmitigated disaster. It had also been fitted with huge 'chromies', and you could hardly keep the car in a straight line. We fixed the rust in the bodywork and painted it, plus a brand new interior, but in the end the guy hated the car - maybe even us because the cost factor was never ending. This car has already featured in the pages of topklasse, showing the extent of rust etc. It is a 1973 350SL. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather

...that can obviously be the case, especially with cars that present themselves in poor condition. On the other hand, however, if you get a 'cracking' good car, they will find a buyer and, whatsmore, at really good prices. That includes 116s as well. I know of one 450SLC that changed hands quite recently for a huge figure - I just wish I could remember the price that the owner had quoted to me. He also still owns a numerous times Concours class winning 6.9 that had been for sale at as low as $35K. and as high as $50K. A couple of years ago we were also involved with a superlative 1978/9 280SE/L (?) which came second in class to the aforementioned 6.9, and he was offered $20K. on the day of the concours. I think that was in 2007/6 (?). So if the car is good enough, they will still fetch the right money. Invariably however, they are onsold on the basis of 'give me first offer of purchase' or they are bought on the spur of the moment. Regards Styria

OP
L

Lukas

I suppose that's the bit I miss - I have a look every now and then and don't realise they're the same cars each time :)

One day I'll find one tucked away in a garage somewhere, at some sort of clearaing sale, with an "I'll take it off your hands right now for $500" offer from me.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
One day I'll find one tucked away in a garage somewhere, at some sort of clearaing sale, with an "I'll take it off your hands right now for $500" offer from me.

That's the idea :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I suppose that with only 14000ks on the clock you can ask any price you wish. There wont be alot to compare it to. Definitely NOT your everyday driver.

You can ask....;)

But a car's value is only what someone is prepared to pay for..:rolleyes: