More threads by motec 6.9

WiSeGuYY

First time in my life I see this tucker brand thanks for sharing
But where did you find it ?
Regards
Tarek

Styria

The Godfather
Geoff, very unusual looking , and very modern at the time of its introduction. I have one in my collection, albeit in Franklin Mint model form. Do you know much about the these cars, such as specifications, length of production and numbers produced. I presume you have done some research and thought that you might be able to pass on your own personal thoughts on what is really quite a remarkable looking car. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I believe there are 51 produced and all are accounted for Rockefeller was famous owner when new. They had Franklin air-cooled flat-6 from the Bell Helicopter . See link :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, that's better. We now have a bit more to get our teeth into. Were there any road tests as far as you know ? Roadholding, and acceleration times would be of interest. Thanks for the link. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
That's better Geoff. I can now add that video to my Real Player collection. BTW, that Silver suits the car, and the frontal treatment reminds me a little of a particular Alfa Romeo model. I tend to think the interior lets it down a little. Very basic, nothing like the British or Germans were capable of creating. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
It was the worlds first safety car. Before any other manufacture made these features available. The car was rear-engined and rear wheel drive. A perimeter frame surrounded the vehicle for crash protection, as well as a roll bar integrated into the roof. The steering box was behind the front axle to protect the driver in a front-end accident. The instrument panel and all controls were within easy reach of the steering wheel, and the dash was padded for safety.[14] The windshield was made of shatterproof glass and designed to pop out in a collision to protect occupants. The car's parking brake had a separate key so it could be locked in place to prevent theft. The doors extended into the roof, to ease entry and exit.[12] Each Tucker built differed somewhat from the previous car, as each car built was basically a “prototype” where design features and engineering concepts were tried, improved, or discarded throughout the production cycle. The door releases on the interior of the Tucker came from the Lincoln Zephyr. The steering columns used in the Tucker were donated by Ford and are from the 1941 Lincoln. Preston Tucker held a patent for a collapsible steering column design. A glove box was added to the front door panels instead of the more conventional location in the dash to provide space for the “crash chamber” that the Tucker is now famous for. This is a padded area ahead of the passenger seat, free from obstructions, providing the front seat passengers an area to protect themselves in the event of an accident.[2] The engine and transmission were mounted on a separate subframe which was secured with only six bolts. The entire drivetrain could thus be lowered and removed from the car in minutes. Tucker envisioned loaner engines being quickly swapped in for service in just 30 minutes.[15]