What's in store for GB?

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Not having to drive her every day would be a great opportunity for more substantial repairs. So Styria, what's the plan???

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria yes a run down would be nice on GB . And i will return the favour when i have something else to write about Motec 6.9 .Geoff :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Styria yes a run down would be nice on GB . And i will return the favour when i have something else to write about Motec 6.9 .Geoff :D

Hi Geoff, well I can see what's going on - or better still, what is not going on. By the look of things, that 6.9 beast of yours has been sitting on the back of this tilt tray for about two years now. I take it that you must have bought the truck ! :D Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria no its sitting in my garage at home waiting for me to get my finger out as it were :eek: . Things have been very hectic of late at work and now the home front. But they will recommence and i will finish what i have started as you know the money allready invested into this car cannot in anyway be recouped so it is a keeper. I have all the parts done for my big motor just need to come up with the time and money to put it all back together. Geoff :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, probably back in about January, you started a thread along the lines of 'What work are you planning on doing to your car" - remember that ? Well, I do anyway, and I have been wanting to reply to you on that subject matter ever since.You may also remember that you posted a thread on "jacking up your 6.9" round about the same time, and I did manage to find that thread and replied to it. Anyway, here goes as far as GB is concerned.

First job is the rear end which really has never been touched properly, save for the fixing of the occasional minor 'hiccup'. I have referred previously to the clack clack noise coming from the right rear wheel, and I have reluctantly been driving GB in the meantime. Now that I have the 420, I would like to install a rebuilt rear end, consisting of new top strut mounts, rebuilt rear levelling valve, rebushed and painted trailing arms, rebushed rear subframe (already painted), rebuilt 2.45 diff (from a 500 - I think that's the ratio), rebuilt drive shafts on both sides, and serviced complete rear hubs. There will be a few additional items, but that is roughly it. Oh, there will also be new brackets and bushes for the anti sway bar. A pretty well complete job. Most of these items are ready for installation, but my accident has somewhat stiffled my attempts to carry out this work on my own. I am still working on solving that issue.

Other work: I have a slightly leaking radiator core (I think), a couple of small oil leaks from the Auto box, a slight hydraulic leak from the hosing (I think) under the hydraulic reservoir, replacement of all bushes in front end, also some ball joints, and I will need to replace the brake servo unit (no power assistance at the moment) as well as replace the front anti sway bar bushes that are situated under the servo unit and above the front levelling valve. No doubt there will be some small additional items that will be attended to at the same time. Presently I have on hand about 90% of parts that will be required. I have an empty pocket to substantiate that statement. Regards Styria

N.B. Will try and take some pics. As a matter of interest, the rebuilt brake servo unit set me back three hundred dollars - not cheap.

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria thank you for the update on what you plan to do to GB. Looking forward to your hi quality tech articles:D as always.Geoff