W111 - the Finnie Model.

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Nice little video. As some of you might know, apart from 220SE and 250, as well as 190B, I did own a long wheel base version of the 300 Finnie for just on seven years. It wasn't troublefree, but what a great family car. Beautiful M189 six cylinder all alloy engine, Disc Brakes all round and self levelling air suspension. Enjoy the video. Regards Styria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO10OzJPC3U

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Interesting how the headlamps and rear end of the coupes are reminiscent of the 108's and 109's which followed.

It seems like the Finnies and the 108s shared the coupe body style

6.9forever

Noble
Beautiful atmospherics from a gentler time ... gorgeous style and civility. In the modern context I can't help cringing at the lack of seat belt use, especially the unrestrained child on the back seat.

Helmet

Connoisseur
How about those crash tests with the windscreen flying out :eek:
Loved the video , thanks Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Helmet - thank you. In total I have owned three 'Heckflosse' cars - no, four in total if I remember correctly. There was the aforementioned 300SEL 1966 (only badged as a 300SE), a 220SEb, a 220S and a 1965 - 250, no 'S', nor 'SE'. The last named had the short front guards like a 190C, or 200(?), but it was 108 bodied, with single row timing chain, and twin carburettors. It handled like a dream - there were no corners or curves, and up to 60mph was possible around some of the Comenarra Parkway stretch from Fox Valley Road to what was once known as Ring Road 3 - ring a bell, the last named. BTW, it was full of rust.

Prior to that, I had a 190B - a great handling car. It was the one car that provided me with the opportunity to meet up with your Dad - he fitted a new timing chain for me. So, there you are ! :D Well, only three Finnies.

6.9 Forever - yes, talk about seat belts. I never needed them, did I ! Anyway, talk about babies in cars, safety and being restrained or, for that matter, unrestrained. I once rebuilt a badly damaged 6.3. It had been stolen by one of the owner's employees and put into a telegraph pole to such extent that it damaged the gearbox tunnel. The car had been owned from new by the owner's father, and the son wanted to preserve the obvious heritage value of the car. The reason why - and he spent a huge amount on the repairs and refurbishment ? Apparently, when as a baby, the old man was cruising at a 100 mph, with the son laying fast asleep on the rear parcel shelf.

I also remember the occasion when a 6.3, travelling at 160 km/hour towards Willoughby, the driver lost control when negotiating a downhill dogleg and the car wrapped itself around a telegraph pole. None of the four occupants, including the driver, survived the crash. Regards Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"Beautiful atmospherics from a gentler time ... gorgeous style and civility."
Alas, our era no longer holds such design values in the same regard as we do...sad really.
Regards,
Brian