Uk 450 sel 6.9

More threads by braminator123

braminator123

Aficionado
Hi All,

I noticed in recent editions of Mercedes Enthusiast a couple of lovely 6.9's which have been discovered and sold - a cypress green with 24k miles (exported to South Africa) and an anthracite grey (my favourite colour) with 100k miles.

Is possible rust given the issues with moisture in the UK so much of an issue that I should just stick to looking for Aust delivered 6.9s? I love the idea of super low mileage 6.9s!

I am pretty sure I could get a very nice UK delivered one and of course luxury car tax would not apply upon import to Oz.

Also are there any anthracite grey 6.9s in Oz?

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi braminator 123, I share your liking for the Anthrazite Grey exterior colour. It is quite rare - well, I have only ever seen a 450SEL that colour. As an interior colour, it is also quite attractive - especially the carpets. I am not a real friend of dark grey and/or black interiors, but the carpets are fine.

Regarding importation - sure, a possibility, you just need to be careful who you are dealing with and also if the car has/or had rust problems. That is probably the biggest issue. Mechanically, 6.9s are very robust and well sorted, especiallky engines, and even gearboxes. Diffs can be a little whiney sometimes. Brakes are cheap, other than the brake booster, and the suspension once sorted and tested and if the pressures are in keeping with specifications, should not present too many problems. If I were you, I'd buy locally, but it all depends how much you wish to pay. Regards Styria

OP
braminator123

braminator123

Aficionado
Thank you Styria.

Yes in the UK there was an Anthracite Grey/Blue velour one for sale and an Anthracite/Black leather (yes leather and not MB-Tex) - both of which were featured in Mercedes Enthusiast. Apparently James Hunt had one too.

There is another colour called Petrol which is quite nice although I only saw a colour sample in an old brochure.

Red interiors are also a classic Benz thing which also appeal to me and were available on 6.9s as I understand.

With most Australian delivered cars, are they a/c, sunroof, leather or MB-Tex?

Any with ABS around?

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi braminator123, as far as I am aware, all Australian cars were fitted with Air Conditioning, cars WITHOUT a sunroof were a rare exception, and most Aussie cars would have been fitted with the 8.0:1 compression pistoned engines. I have never seen a 6.9 with MB-Tex, whilst the majority had leather upholstery. There were some with velour upholstery - a nice variation, and probably slightly better lasting than leather, especially the back seat which was prone to collapse and also callicoe separating from the stitching. On the other hand, replacement velour is more difficult to pbtain. With leather, plenty of choice, and quite reasonably priced.

One of our members has one of the 6.9s originally owned by James Hunt, but I have read in days gone by that one of them was a sad, and well worn, example, but obviously I am not privy to which car our member owns. I do believe that it needed a bit of work, but I am not aware of what was required. The most expensive 6.9 ever sold in used condition, as far as I am aware, was a $35K. Astral Silver with blue leather upholstery belonging to club member George Mathieson. Originally listed at $50K., it hovered around for a long time without attracting a buyer, but the lower figure saw a collector purchase the car - about eighteen months ago. It's my understanding it will not come on the market again - ever. Regards Styria

N.B. Have not seen ABS on any of the cars I have known - possibly best not to have it as it was an original newly developed system, and is just a likely to be troublesome or add complexity on a car some thirty two years old.

Last edited:
OP
braminator123

braminator123

Aficionado
Hi Styria,

Good point re the ABS - just another thing that could go wrong.

Can't believe George's car wasn't sold quicker - to me, $35k sounds like a good buy if the service history was excellent and fully up to date with main dealer stamps etc.

Jeff Kennett's car was up for sale in Perth 2 years ago - does anyone know where that ended up - Thistle Green I believe?

Any other "celebrity" Australian 6.9s around? Surely Jeff's car is the most well known?

Cheers.

Bram

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bram, there were any number of "celebrities' and pillars of society and business that owned 6.9s, but readily I cannot recall any names right now. Others on TK may have information in that regard.

That same George Mathieson with his 6.9 saw Kennett's car when displayed for sale in Melbourne, and gave it an absolutely scathing report. I believe it now lives in West Australia - may have been sold for about $28K. following a 'quick' respray. BTW, don't be fooled by past owners and past history - it means very little. In fact, any records older than five to eight years are almost meaningless, because maintenance issues are ready to come around again for the first or second time. What really matters are the last five years - what has been replaced, what has been bought, how many kilometers has the car travelled in the last five years, and also who has owned it - that last one is of considerable importance. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Hi Bram, there were any number of "celebrities' and pillars of society and business that owned 6.9s, but readily I cannot recall any names right now. Others on TK may have information in that regard.

That same George Mathieson with his 6.9 saw Kennett's car when displayed for sale in Melbourne, and gave it an absolutely scathing report. I believe it now lives in West Australia - may have been sold for about $28K. following a 'quick' respray. BTW, don't be fooled by past owners and past history - it means very little. In fact, any records older than five to eight years are almost meaningless, because maintenance issues are ready to come around again for the first or second time. What really matters are the last five years - what has been replaced, what has been bought, how many kilometers has the car travelled in the last five years, and also who has owned it - that last one is of considerable importance. Regards Styria

Kennett's 6.9 sounds like a very ordinary car for $28K!

OP
braminator123

braminator123

Aficionado
Thanks for the wealth of information Styria!

Recent Benz service history is obviously important; particularly in respect of the air suspension. The actual workshop would be important too - there are obviously known 6.9 experts in Melbourne, Sydney etc.

I think the car would had to have been driven frequently too in the last 5 years or so? I know my 450SE does not like sitting around!

So I guess George's former 6.9 would be the best original 6.9 in Oz then? Surely there are a few others lurking out there with their original owners parked up in barns/garages etc?!

Cheers.

Bram