Thoughts about the 6.9

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I was wondering today what MB could've done to make the 6.9 more destinctive from the rest of the W116s and why they chose not to at the time? In fact, I was wondering why they chose to provide option code 261 (delete trunk badge)?

On making them more destinctive, my suggestions would've included black 'chrome', 15" wheels, bonnet ducts, side badges, trunk spoilers (AMG style) and completely unique colours.

On the inside they should've had electric seats and mirrors, leather steering wheels and shifters. More supportive seats with contrasting stitching or unique colours should've also been added, along with leather door trims and veneer inserts. A moon-roof option should've also been offered.

Under the bonnet should've been a cold-air intake and extractors instead of cast manifolds.

Could it be the displacement was so politically incorrect when introduced (during the first oil 'crisis'), that MB perceived many owners would choose to 'hide'? Was it common at the time for the wealthy to try to hide their fortune? This notion seems implausible to me, because even without badges it would still be immediately obvious they're driving around in a new car worth more than many people's houses... It seems they didn't cancel the program due to what they'd already invested into the project; instead, the release was simply delayed. Was MB worried the cars wouldn't sell and the program would turn into another 600 disaster? Is it possible many extras weren't included due to these concerns?

As a result they created a sleeping monster that was relatively sedate when you compare the interiors to the likes of RR, Jaguar, Cadillac, or even the humble Ford LTD and Holden Caprice.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
My only claim to fame is a '6.9' on the front grille, which is colour coded.

Two tone paint would be nice. RR does that, why can't Merc?
'Gleaming Beauty' with two tone paint ain't half bad!

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, you must be disappointed that you have only received one reply - in the olden days, you could have expected twenty - today you WILL get two, if we count the one about to be penned. Basically, you raise some very interesting points, and as you know, I have been harping about lack of recognition of the 6.9 folklore, such as it is, for a number of years now. As you would probably be aware, the cost of a 6.9 in 1978 was about sixty nine thousand German marks - compare that with forty for a 450SE and forty five for the SEL. Considering that there was just about nothing other than the mechanicals and the suspension to differentiate the two SELs, you can see you paid a premium for something that you couldn't even see on a cursory glance. I mean, even the gearboxes were almost identical, and the diff ? Just a different ratio. So your extra money went into the engine and suspension, and a passenger seat that was, or is, height adjustable. Thus if you had added all the goodies that you have thrown into the basket, the price would have been stratospheric. Remember, that the 6.9 cost more than a Rolls Royce, and (I think), even a Ferrari 330GTC.

So I have agonized how to change Gleaming Beauty into something more recognizable or attention getting. Michel has done it with his Red Terror and 'bling wheels', the red paint job and a somewhat louder exhaust (the last named not by much). With GB I have tried to be different with the duo colour paint scheme, not universally approved - in fact, one of "now no longer favourite club members" thought it looks 'bloody terrible' - so much for diplomacy and I wonder what he would think of the Red Terror ? In my case it no longer matters - at least, I have achieved a different look with the two tone scheme.In my view3, this is something that MB should have done - two tone standard, single colour as an option. I guarantee that, in due course, everyone would have looked at any car with the two tone combination and said "ah, that's a 6.9' - well, my theory anyway.

If then Mercedes had added a straight through muffler like I have done, recognition would be instant. Honestly, I had been hankering for something a bit more roarty for a long time - well, about two years ago, I bit the bullet and spent $450.00 - discounted rate) on a beautifully made straight through stainless steel muffler. Honestly Mark, the sound and snarl in the correct rev range are quite toxic - you now know that you're driving something different. Mind you, just as an aside, one can achieve a glorious sound also from a 450 engine as well. So, that's another 116 or 107 model that could be modified, although with the 107 the shape is beautiful enough to be instantly recognized as a classic with its remarkable styling. So Mark, both you and Motec6.9 (Geoff) still have the opportunity to do something different with your cars to make your cars more recognizable, or DIFFERENT. BTW, in my view, the AMG Replica front spoiler does its bit in making the cars look a little more .....I am not sure what, but I like it.

I also have fitted a quite special Pioneer Radio Casette, with a six stacker CD player in the boot. You could also change the appearance of your instrument panel with a burl walnut look alike item - as yet, I haven't investigated that option properly. Anyway, having regard to your thoughts, I'll be very interested to see what you're going to come up with. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
How does that relate to this thread Tim?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Why do i like the 6.9 i feel the earth move under my feet :D i intend to make mine mono chrome like AMG. And my car allready is anti socail . Geoff

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Where have you been hiding Geoff?? Welcome back!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
No it's not relevant to this thread which was specifically about the 6.9s. You'd be better starting a new thread with that one Tim (BTW it looks nice)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
232 km north of Kalgoorlie been here for 16 weeks go home in 8 days but only there for just under 4 weeks before returning to the dark side. Known as the internet free zone :eek:

WiSeGuYY

GeoFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffff. you really missed man hope you are ok and the twin in perfect shape hope you return home safe .

sorry for invade the 6.9 post but i really didn't see MOTEC for long time.i even thought he dump the w116 and return to bikes

REGARDS

TAREK

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
What who's dumped W116's NOT ME. Geoff :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I still wonder why the 6.9 didn't have the option of front electric seats, since you could order a rear one??? Was it possible to order a regular 450 with a power rear seat?? :rolleyes:

Helmet

Connoisseur
I still wonder why the 6.9 didn't have the option of front electric seats, since you could order a rear one??? Was it possible to order a regular 450 with a power rear seat?? :rolleyes:

I've never seen a W116 with power seats, front or rear.

abl567

Super Moderator
Heated yes, electric no

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
WGB has them in Babe.

Styria

The Godfather
In WGB's car, in the back only. More than likely, a very similar arrangement as I had in my much cherished 420SEL that's found its way into Oversize's collection. I didn't really think that the arrangement was all that significant I its function - just a nice way of saying that "not every Mercedes has got that feature". Well, it was better to have, than not to. Regards. Styria