There's a hole in that panel

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yesterday I passed a Peugeot and noticed it had some collision damage that included the jagged hole in a front guard.... And the edges indicated one thing: plastic!!! WTF??? :eek:

Tony66_au

Peugeot have been doing this for over 10 years now mate.

Front guards and tailgates as well as other assorted smaller panels, Urethane glued on too!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
So does Benz with the A Class. Why not? If it's not structural and weight bearing then it does not need to be steel.
Regards,
Brian

I'd just rather spend my hard earned on steel, not plastic!

Last edited:

Tony66_au

I just rather spend my hard earned on steel, not plastic!

Polycarbonate Mark, very high tech stuff too.

Initially mandated in Europe as part of the pedestrian friendly campaign for softer cars they actually have a greater tensile strength than their tin predecessors and are harder to puncture while actually managing to work in the the safety zones far better.

I saw a demo when a mob we were buying company cars for asked us to look at Renault, Peugeot and Volvo at a Regans dealer from memory and the guy belted the #### out of an old tin and new poly guard with a hammer and a shaping hammer with a point on one end and the Poly item stood up really well.

So we got 5 206's.

Tony66_au

By the way, One of the 206's suffered at the hands of an ex girlfriend (Not mine) and she kicked the bejeebus out of the poor thing managing to scuff the paint and hurt her foot.....

She picked the cars front for some reason (Lucky for us)

Helmet

Connoisseur
Benz's top line coupe's the CL series also has plastic , sorry polycarbonate front gaurds :eek:

E200K

Had a Peugeot 405 Turbo Diesel once back in England. It actually went along quite quickly and was very comfortable on a long run but in the dark, with the noise of the motor, I was often mistaken for a taxi. Even had people jump in the back once while I was standing at a set of lights.

Tony66_au

Had a Peugeot 405 Turbo Diesel once back in England. It actually went along quite quickly and was very comfortable on a long run but in the dark, with the noise of the motor, I was often mistaken for a taxi. Even had people jump in the back once while I was standing at a set of lights.

LOL I had a 504 oil burner for a bit and it was bloody awful, something about french cars always has me running away.

That said the current crop seem to be far better but they age so quickly.