Strut Boots

More threads by Lukas

Lukas

See what happens when I buy bits - questions galore.

Anyway, after cleaning the copious amounts of grease and road goo off the struts, some of the boots are missing or worn/torn.

SuspensionParts-StrutBoots.jpg

Seems to be 2 sorts of strut boots:

1) Largeish concertina one that covers the shiny part of the strut as it expands / contracts

2) Small circular one that covers the ball joint

Anyone know where to acquire these? Autohaus seems to have nothing applicable. How do you fit them - remove the ball joint socket?

Also, is it possible / desirable to replace the large solid rubber "stoppers" at the top of the strut?

Last edited:

WGB

The gaiters on the rear struts can be purchased from an M-B agent - I bought two in January and they were about $75 each.

The ball joint seals are the same as those on the rear self levelling suspension but M-B do not sell them separately but take the line that if they are damaged the entire ball joint should be replaced. Styria might be able to help as he supplies recon ones.

I believe the strut mounting rubbers are available from the agents but the price is probably eye watering - S class purchased them 18 months or so ago.

Bill

s class

I don't know what the upper rubber mounts cost separately. I bought entire struts, and they come with new rubbers. The struts are quite dear - somewhere around A$1200 each.

OP
L

Lukas

Ta for that - the ball joint isn't this one AutoHaus AZ is it? Looks wrong (and too cheap too). One of them moves stiffly, is bootless and had literally an inch of road grime over it, so can't be going too well.

I might chase the gaiter from MBSpares - the blue 6.9 needs at least one too. $75 for a piece of rubber - fantastic.

Styria

The Godfather
No - thats the ball joint in the lower outer front suspension arm to steering swivel.

Talk to Styria when he resurfaces.

Bill

Thanks WGB, still got my head under water !...but have now re-surfaced ! :D

Lukas champ, struts, ball joints, this, that and the other.....The situation is as follows:

1) Bottom ball joints from front and rear struts can be very stubborn to remove and can sometimes require two people. With front struts in particular, you do not want to damage the metal cover.

2)It is imperative that in the removal of mounts process, you DO NOT damage the dust boots - those I cannot replace, or at least at this point of time, I do not have access to replacements. Therefore, any reco or rebuild job, where your dust boot is damaged, I cannot replace.

As with everything, costs (or what I am charged) keep on going up. Front bottom ball joints are now $170.00 each, rear bottoms $145.00 each.

3) Top mounts for front and rear struts you need to buy separately from your Benz dealer or, of course, Autohaus Arizona etc. Even John Green in Canberra may have them - they're good guys. The design of those units is such that it could be difficult to come iup with an alternative, even in neoprene form.

4) Rebuilt front and rear levelling valves, and distribution valve, I can supply.

Have had only one failure so far.

FRONT AND REAR STRUTS - I have about ten rebuilt units on hand. However, they are untested and will need to go on one of my cars first.

It is also hoped that by the end of January, I will be able to supply a proper testing kit to ascertain suspension pressures and test values. So, hopefully, that will come to fruition.

In the meantime, do not damage those rubber dust boots. The rear concertina rubbers I would only use if I had to - for my own cars, I use alternatives. Don't like paying $75.00 for a piece of rubber, no matter how well heritaged, when I can buy a brand new GMC lawn mower for $198.00 - and it does cut the grass. Regards Styria

OP
L

Lukas

Thanks Styria - the dust boots mentioned in point 2 (the unavailable ones) are the small ones covering the ball joints, yes?

Regarding the concertina ones - what alternatives do you use?

Ta

Lukas