Starting problems

More threads by Martin280s

Martin280s

For the last couple of days my W124 300E has been a bit difficult to start after the initial morning warm-up on the way to work. Once it's running everything is just fine and dandy. When the motor's stone cold it starts easily but after that it takes a few turns of the key to get it going. :(

Any suggestions please....worse still my workshop manual hasn't arrived yet and I'm not familiar with fuel injection.

s class

I'm not familiar with this engine, but I'm guessing its KE-jet ?

OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

I really don't know. Tomorrow I'm off to the mechanics to swap out some steering bits (I do my own mechanics...I used their tools when I don't have my own). I'll also take advantage and ask if they know what it might / could be.

Last edited:
OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

Last edited:

s class

ATF in the gas is something the guys over at M100 recommend frequently. The only drawback to bear in mind is that the AFT could free up a lot of old varnish in the fuel tank, leading to fairly quick clogging of the fuel filter. You could find yourself replacing the fuel filter soon afterwards.

Styria

The Godfather
I have experimented with ATF in the fuel tank with both of my 6.9's, and quite frankly I have no idea what the benefits, if any, have/have not been.

I certainly do not think that it has done any harm, and I've replaced no injectors other than the four on the left hand bank as a matter of service routine on my Gleaming Beauty. It has made absolutely no difference to subsequent running. So, I am only guessing as to what benefits there are. Regards Styria

John S

Is it possible that your cold start relay may not be cutting out once the 300 engine is hot?

OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

The other day I put R$50 (+/- 14lts) of BR Podium in the tank, the same fuel as used in GP racing - so they say, and noticed a difference the next day. That got me thinking that maybe my regular fuel stop is doing something to the fuel they shouldn't. I'm going to go back to Texaco techron and see what happens. I stopped using it as it's 10c a litre more than the others but just might be worth that extra if it keeps things running well.

Yesterday, I swapped out the central link on the steering as it had some serious play, then had the caster and alignment done and they car seems much more neutral and much quieter too.