Shaftless Throttles

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
When you’re searching for more power, every little bit helps! Particularly important since the majority of flow is at the centre of a pipe. I’ve already spoken to my guy about doing conversions...

4-D436169-07-C7-4-DD7-89-D2-721-FA3055147.jpg

8770-A5-D7-3-D22-446-A-A8-F5-F73-F7-DB483-FA.jpg

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Bikes solved this years ago with flat slides

abl567

Super Moderator
"Particularly important since the majority of flow is at the centre of a pipe"
Only when you have laminar flow, in general air in a pipe or duct travels in a vortex, the air closer to the duct walls has a higher velocity, and lower static pressure while the air in the centre of the vortex is slower but has a higher static pressure. So, a higher MASS of air is delivered in the centre but the air at the extremes gets there quicker. The quicker air can increase power but it's the slower, high mass air that produces torque, and torque talks. Think blowing slowly on a camp fire to help the embers glow as opposed to quick bursts that extinguish the fire.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
I was just thinking which way I would get blown - up or down, slow or fast, what if the massive back pressure is too high and escapes into the atmosphere ? Could be disastrous. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Interesting reading & the dynanmics of air in enclosed spaces has me intrigued. According to those documents, the butterfly throttle plate is still superior in a street engine & I’ll be exploring the mod soon.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Figured you would like that bike's have used flat slide carbs first then throttle bodies for years.