Scotty Kilmer

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This mechanic has many videos that can be copied from Youtube or other sources. I know that not everyone likes his presentations and, perhaps, not even his opinions, whether they be good or bad, but nevertheless I don't mind the guy and I am happy to watch his videos.

This particular one discusses pros and cons on a number of fronts. The thing to remember is that most of his comments relate to used cars, perhaps even well after their warranty periods. That's when you're on your own, or perhaps even in the hands of repairers that don't really know how to fix your cars. My Captiva, whilst almost 100% trouble free since purchase, it falls into the category where mechanical and/or electronic gremlins may raise their ugly heads. Anyway, in my opinion, the guy makes a fair bit of sense. Regards Styria

N.B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQUARJOU9Pg

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
You missed out on some quite useful information. :D Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Here we go - another Kilmer video, and this time it relates to the "shut off engine" feature when coming to a full stop at traffic lights etc. I've said it before, I'll say it again. The guy's presentation may leave a lot to be desired, his voice might be a bit grating, but I don't think that he is a complete dunce.

I have appreciated someone explaining to me certain features, be they be positive or negative, as to how the system works and as to why he is not particularly fond of it. I haven't seen anyone else explaining it to me, and I do think that I have learned something. That's a lot more than I knew before. Regards Styria

N.B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7524u5w4ZE

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Peter, okay two minutes. So tell me this: Is what he says incorrect ? Is he telling bull ? Is he misleading an unknowing soul like me ?

I would really appreciate your comments. Regards. Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi C107, I have had a good look at your list of websites, and there are a number that I particularly like. Right at this moment, I have just submitted a Legit Street summary of a E55 AMG. It's all quite straight forward, but there is a considerable difference between describing features of a car such as this one, or comments made by someone like Kilmer who actually expresses opinions (maybe not valid or appropriate) based on his experience of actually being a mechanic that works on most types of cars.

Just about everyone can have that grating American accent, and I tend to ignore that and concentrate on the information that is being offered. I think any information is of a useful nature, even if it was coming by way of Jay Leno's garage. There is room for everyone to express themselves (talking about the various videos) and it is all in the interests of providing useful information. Thanks for your referrals, and I am still investigating the various websites that you have mentioned. Thanks a lot. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My main problem with Scotty is that he is like the tabloid media, everything is sensationalized and he spends the whole time shouting.
Indeed - this is the issue. I just want the facts in point form but I guess many people find him entertaining. I have no doubt he knows his stuff though.
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
A business or a person has to be a package to fully succeed. He is badly let down by his technique .
. a grating, shouting, Voice designed to sensationalise the basic
That's the American way, leaves me cold..I no longer bother.:eek:

Helmet

Connoisseur
A business or a person has to be a package to fully succeed. He is badly let down by his technique .
. a grating, shouting, Voice designed to sensationalise the basic
That's the American way, leaves me cold..I no longer bother.:eek:

Plus he rants about stuff he doesn’t really know about

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I feel he needs another drink ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

turkey-mechanic.jpg

Loud Mouth Turkey Mechanic!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Indeed - this is the issue. I just want the facts in point form but I guess many people find him entertaining. I have no doubt he knows his stuff though.
Regards,
Brian

Hi Benz Boy, good summation on your part. When I click onto his videos, I don 't look for entertainment - I can find that by means of other media. What is important to me is that he actually talks Technics, Mechanics and associated car repair issues. I don't care what he sounds like - as long as perhaps I can learn something from his "rants and ravings".

More importantly, to my mind, is that he introduces to TK items of overall interests to probably many people like myself, and he actually to a small extent takes over discussions of mechanical interest which is something that's been lacking on TK. Very, very few items of maintenance, repair etc. for a long time now on our website. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Well then , I had better check these links out.

I have been traveling with work in QLD since Sunday, then I am back to VIC this Sunday night, then SA Wednesday till Friday night.

That leaves tonight.
I’ll try and check him out :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well Patrick, I'll leave that part up to you. Sure enough, we have the knockers, but there is one example I would like to illustrate as to why "I" think his contributions can be useful. As you know, I have been very happy with my Captiva, but in due course I will have to give consideration to replacing her. The SUV I have in mind is the Honda CR/V. Forget engines, there are varying opinions about on various websites regarding the "old" 2.4 or the latest 1.5 litre Turbo. As I said, don't worry about their characteristics.

The choice with the CR/V in simple terms is either 2 wheel front only or 4 wheel drive, and those specifications attract different purchase values. Now, I am the sort of person that wants as many features as possible, so I have always felt that I would want four wheel drive, but remembering that I would never take a car like the Honda off road, so really I would be wasting good money in opting for the four wheel drive arrangements. That's easy enough to understand, but Kilmer puts a different slant on the two choices. He has suggested in one of his videos that the rear differential is prone to premature wear and "why would you want to waste your money on something that you're not likely to explore at any time" and possibly incur "additional mechanical repairs" on a feature you don't need.

Now, not many people will tell you about this. Honda ? No. Second hand Car Dealer ? No. So I would be prepared to accept his knowledge and judgement. Regards Styria