S65 AMG versus Bentley Mulsanne

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If you've never been sure which of the two would be preferable, and I am talking about German versus British as far as Interior Furnishings are concerned, this excellent video should once and for all clarify which of the two take preference.

On the mechanical front, it would appear that the Bentley is just about up to the task of handling whatever the Mercedes can dish out - save perhaps for the music undoubtedly produced by the Benz AMG from its exhaust pipes. Bodyshape and styling - not a lot wrong with the Bentley, perhaps a little more imposing in looks than the Benz. However, the interior - despite being a $30K. option, the computer system incorporated in the backs of the front seats really settles it for me - the Benz items look decidedly cheap and nasty in comparison. Just look for yourself. I also think, overall, the interior of the Bentley is a nicer place to be in. What do you guys think ? Regards Styria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PckC81-a0w

Oversize

Grand Master
Great video and nice critique of the two cars; thanks for the link Styria! Very interesting indeed.... Well what are my thoughts?

Back in the late 70s a 6.9 cost more than a Rolls, but I'd suggest the Rolls was still more luxurious. And just oozed class. However, the Benz was far more advanced and a much better driver's car.

Now what do we have? A Bentley (and I'd put the Rolls in the same class) which appears to be much better finished than the Benz; nothings changed there. And it seems the MB is still far more advanced and remains the preferred car for a driver with performance aspirations.

What's changed in 33 years? The price. The Bentley is almost $115K more..... And for that you could buy the best entertainment in the world and still have change to ditch all the plastic and add LOTS more leather. In fact, for that money you could buy a half-share in another Benz!

I love the switchgear and opulance of the Bentley, but those mega-expensive iPads are too low to be comfortable if the rear passengers are watching the news, or the latest finance figures. The top of the screen should be at eye level like any desktop computer. And from the front, both the Bentley and the Rolls are just Fugly!

The new Pullman will be very interesting indeed! :rolleyes:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, there are a couple of interesting points of view you raise. The fact that the Bentley outprices the Mercedes to the extent it does presents a somewhat more balanced view between the two cars, and one could start leaning towards the S65 considering the price difference. I do think, though, that the Germans (well, Mercedes anyway) can't match the interior flair of the Brits.

Stylingwise, the fronts...fugly ? I know what you're saying, but Boy, they look impressive, and overwhelmingly so, when seen in real life - especially the Rolls Royce. Pretty they are not, but you can't miss them. With the Benz, the frontal styling is very much in keeping with the other, sometimes cheaper models. Should we go back :D to another thread (6.9s) when we discussed how Mercedes could have made the 6.9 a little more special and different when compared with the other models ? With this Bentley, and sort of equivalent Rolls Royce, there can be no doubt about the recognition, and special at that, factor. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I agree Styria and think MB has a lot to learn if they wanna make a car have that luxurious ambiance which only the British seem to have mastered. After driving some luxury performance cars in the US last year the one that stood out for me was Jaguar.

I wonder if the result would've been the same had they compared the Bentley with a Maybach?

Oversize

Grand Master
Clearly MB needs to work on their interior design and not focus so much on innovation and technology. RR and Bentley haven't changed their driveline in how long??

BenzBoy

Grand Master
R-R has not changed the Phantom engine since the current V12 was introduced in 2003.
Technical Data:
12-cylinder-engine with 60 degree V-configuration, four valves per cylinder, bore x stroke 84.6mm x 92mm (3.33in x 3.63in), capacity 6,749 cc (411.8cu in); digital engine control, 460hp/338KW at 5,350rpm (SAE 453bhp at 5350rpm), max torque 720Nm (531 lb ft) at 3,500 rpm; ZF6HP32 6-speed automatic gearbox; independent suspension front and rear, ventilated disc brakes (front 374 x 36mm, rear 370 x 24mm), anti locking device; wheelbase 3,570mm (140,55in); height 1,632 mm (64.25 in), width 1,990 mm (78.35 in), overall length 5,834mm (229.69in); Extended Wheelbase Version: wheelbase 3.820mm, overall length 6.084 mm; tyre size PAX205x790 R540A/S, light alloy wheels’ size PAX265x540A, from 2004 onward optional: tyre size 255/50R21W on 8x21 rims at the front, and 285/45R21W on 9.5x21 rims at the rear; max. speed 149mph/240km/h (cars destined for the USA and Canada electronically limited to 130 mph/208 km/h); 0-60mph 5.7 sec (0-100 km/h 5.9sec)
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
I assume that's VW tech? Nah I was talking about the Bentley....

Up until now I'll admit I didn't understand the difference between Rolls and Bentley and for some reason thought they were owned by the same company because they looked kinda similar. Their history must be fascinating!

Oversize

Grand Master
What gives with 6 3/4 litres?? They're mixing imperial & metric! I just read Wiki and it seems that's part of their history. Which I must say has been a nightmare along with that of Rolls. MB's history makes me feel far more reassured by comparison....

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I assume that's VW tech? Nah I was talking about the Bentley....

Up until now I'll admit I didn't understand the difference between Rolls and Bentley and for some reason thought they were owned by the same company because they looked kinda similar. Their history must be fascinating!
No - that is R-R technology developed for exclusive R-R use by the new owners (BMW) for the release of the Goodwood Phantom in 2003. Yes, I am aware that you were talking about the Bentley and it has a variety of engines available ranging from the original R-R 6.75 litre unit developed by R-R for the Cloud II through to the various engines made by Bentley now under the ownership of VW.
The reason is that the Arnarge uses the old V8 is simply that the original Crew product was so good that it needed little improvement to give the power and torque required for the Arnage. Interestingly, when Bentley offered a different engine it failed to sell well and clients demanded the return of the traditional engine.
R-R bought Bentley in 1931 and made all Bentleys until about 2000/2 when the R-R and B were divided up to the new owners.
Now before one gets too excited by the "independence" of Mercedes-Benz, one needs to be aware that an increasing percentage of its shares are owned by a variety of Saudi, UAE and Bahraini individuals and investment companies.
The days of the fiercely independent car companies is long gone. It's also worth being aware that most of Mercedes-Benz's profit comes not from selling or servicing cars but from its bank and other financial arms that allow clients to buy on credit.
The great value of my PII lies not only in that it is a Phantom Continental, but also in the fact that it was one of the last ever cars that Sir Henry himself was directly involved in during the design and construction phase before he died.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

WiSeGuYY

very nice VIDEO GODFATHER and interesting comments about the BENTLEY and the MERCDES S65 i must agree but i reluctant to say they all GERMAN since BENTLEY owned by VW and ROLLS ROYCE owned by BMW vs MERCEDES BENZ which also GERMAN , so we went down to FINISHING that is quit difrence between cars to the ELITE LUXERY clients opposite to the clients seeking a very sporting AMG BENZ

REGARDS

TAREK

BenzBoy

Grand Master
In the case of Bentley the majority of components are make in the UK. The exception is the 12 cylinder motor and gearbox that come from VW. The V8 is still made in the UK - body components and trim are mostly from the UK. In the case of R-R most components and the body come from a special section of BMW and then are mated to the British trim etc at Goodwood.
Crewe is a manufacturing factory for Bentley but Goodwood is an assembly factory for R-R.
It's been the way of car manufacturers for many years to make fewer and fewr parts and obtian them from suppliers - and that is why any closure by Holden would have very serious ramifications for a wide range of Australian suppliers.
Regards,
Brian