Rubber Mounts and Bushes

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
I have recently replaced all the rubber mounts and bushes in the front and rear axles of my W109 6.3 and WOW, what a difference. (diff issues ignored for this post)

Parts replaced:
Motor mounts,
Front sub frame mounts
Trans mount
Front sway bar mounts
Front sub frame leaf spring bushes and plates* unique to a 6.3
Rear diff mount
Rear sway bar bushes
Rear anti dive bush kit
Rear Lateral support bushes

The front mounts and rubbers I replaced myself and while I have seen posts of this process done with the front subframe in place I quickly found that it was easier to support the engine and tranny and drop the complete front subframe to the floor and replace the mounts.

The rear mounts and bushes where replaced with the new axle installation mentioned earlier.

The result of all this work is work is well worth the cost, my 6.3 now drives better than ever, the steering is more precise and any crash through from the suspension is eliminated.

That is all for now, Ruby and Ikey are in need of Dad...

Des

Did you inspect your subframe and steering box when you where under there?

Many of the Benzes from this period, W107's, W114's W116 etc.. suffer from cracking and stress due to the weight of the motor and forces put on the steering box.

SELfor50

Did you inspect your subframe and steering box when you where under there?

Many of the Benzes from this period, W107's, W114's W116 etc.. suffer from cracking and stress due to the weight of the motor and forces put on the steering box.

I'm hearing ya... My mechanic said last time we had it on the hoist doing the drag link that the bushing (i'm assuming it's the one you're talking about) that is in the middle of the main steering 'rod' coming out of the steering box is f*kd! It was cracked like buggery and definately needs replacing. I plan to do an entire overhaul on the steering box / bushings / links in the coming months. There's too much play for my liking.

...not that i thrash it or anything. :rolleyes:

Des

...not that i thrash it or anything. :rolleyes:

suuuurrrreee
:D :D :D

I think Styria might know a bit more about these issues on W116's as he was looking at making up some copies of the original steering box plates Mercedes sold or fitted in the 70's

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Yes Des, checked all that out and even measured the subframe to ensure it is within spec, It is the same as all the W108 models so the M100 motor tends to bend them in a 6.3.
My steering box was replaced in 2003 by the previous owner so no probs there.:cool:

Des

Would love to see some more pictures of your 6.3

They are such good looking cars, have that truely classic Benz look.

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Des,
Hope these work
100_1382.jpg

100_1383.jpg

100_1375.jpg

100_1378.jpg

The last pic I love, a 2 day, 1000 mile road trip with a mate I've known for 25 years

100_1373.jpg

139_3981.jpg

Last edited:

Des

Love that last picture, thanks for sharing

:)

You can just see the heritage, the history, sit your 6.3 next to a 170, a ponton and you can see how they have evolved.

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Love that last picture, thanks for sharing

:)

You can just see the heritage, the history, sit your 6.3 next to a 170, a ponton and you can see how they have evolved.

And faster:cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des and abl567, I will have to have a proper reply to this thread in due course - there is lots to tell as the story with this car goes back the best part of thirty years - yes, you've read correctly, 30. More in due course.

Anthony, love those pics - is there some chance that you might be able to move them to the member's picture gallery that 6.9 forever has started a thread on ? That way, we can start an 'album' that everyone can participate in. Regards Styria

N.B. for Des, we have a 170 coming in today or tomorrow for a re-trim job by Parks. Would you like us to keep some form of pictorial record ? :D Styria

6.9forever

Noble
As Martin Luther King famously said: "I have a dream".

Well I dream of having the hat-trick, the full deck, that is, to add a 6.3 and a 600 (any wheelbase version, I'm not fussy(!)), to my 6.9 and be the "compleat M100 junkie".

A 6.3 that looks as gorgeous as abl567's would be a great start. Love the silver-blue, love the alloys. Great photos taken sensitively and with pleasant backgrounds.

Awesome.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As Martin Luther King famously said: "I have a dream".

Well I dream of having the hat-trick, the full deck, that is, to add a 6.3 and a 600 (any wheelbase version, I'm not fussy(!)), to my 6.9 and be the "compleat M100 junkie".

A 6.3 that looks as gorgeous as abl567's would be a great start. Love the silver-blue, love the alloys. Great photos taken sensitively and with pleasant backgrounds.

Awesome.

That is some dream...

Keep it up....

You'll be in heaven....:p

Des

N.B. for Des, we have a 170 coming in today or tomorrow for a re-trim job by Parks. Would you like us to keep some form of pictorial record ? :D Styria

Dear Styria

If the owner does not mind you taking pictures, would love to see some of their 170

thank you

Kind Regards
Des

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Des and abl567, I will have to have a proper reply to this thread in due course - there is lots to tell as the story with this car goes back the best part of thirty years - yes, you've read correctly, 30. More in due course.

The time has come Styria, spill the beans on my car...
You can be sure at least one person will read it :rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, I will, in due course. As you can imagine, it will take a bit of doing and, as of right now in time, I am getting to the stage where the sandman tells me 'it's time to hit the hay'.