rough 6.9 for sale

More threads by c107

Styria

The Godfather
Bryce, got to thank you for featuring this "rough" 6.9 in the hallowed pages of TK. It provides me with an opportunity to get on my soap box - the reason being ? I cannot understand how a car like the 6.9 with its perceived quality and heritage can be subject to the abuse it has had bestowed upon it. If that was my car, I'd probably be ashamed to advertise it - judging by its condition. Anyway, enough of my rants.

In order to turn this car into something worthwhile keeping, one could find a used interior to rectify the upholstery situation, and then perhaps bite the bullet and spend $1400.00 on new carpets - yes, it will cost that amount supplied and fitted. Then if you're a handy Panel Beater/Spray Painter, you could fix up the body. That would then leave the mechanicals...........Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just another word on this or any other 6.9 for that matter. They should now be treated as "keepers" - in my opinion, given a it of luck and perseverance, 6.9's should increase in value as time goes by. They may not have the "panache"of a 6.3, but they are more user friendly, more reliable and cheaper to maintain - especially as far as the fuel system is concerned - and, believe it or not, the majority of parts are cheaper to purchase.

.......and when all said and done, they may not show a 6.3 a clean pair of heels in the accelerations stakes, but just accelerate your 6.9 in second gear from about 50 onwards - all hell can break loose. Regards. Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Bryce, got to thank you for featuring this "rough" 6.9 in the hallowed pages of TK. It provides me with an opportunity to get on my soap box - the reason being ? I cannot understand how a car like the 6.9 with its perceived quality and heritage can be subject to the abuse it has had bestowed upon it. If that was my car, I'd probably be ashamed to advertise it - judging by its condition. Anyway, enough of my rants.

In order to turn this car into something worthwhile keeping, one could find a used interior to rectify the upholstery situation, and then perhaps bite the bullet and spend $1400.00 on new carpets - yes, it will cost that amount supplied and fitted. Then if you're a handy Panel Beater/Spray Painter, you could fix up the body. That would then leave the mechanicals...........Regards. Styria

Indeed. Unfortunately given the price of nice (but not concours) 6.9's this car will likely sell for a small amount of money and languish in the back of somebody shed for the next five years until its deteriorated further and will then be sold again for parts.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Indeed. Unfortunately given the price of nice (but not concours) 6.9's this car will likely sell for a small amount of money and languish in the back of somebody shed for the next five years until its deteriorated further and will then be sold again for parts.

Sadly this might be true! :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately Michel, 6.9s are not spare parts friendly. Engines are absolutely bullet proof, so you'd hardly ever have to put one on your shopping list. Okay, spare gearbox and differential would be handy, but the rest....forget it. Any old, neglected 6.9 will not have good suspension components, and if one looks at old 6.9 interiors, their condition as a rule are deplorable. There will be very little you would be able to use. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Good afternoon the 6.9 has quite a few bids and almost up to $6K.

Some poor sucker will be spending five to 10 times that amount in order to bring it back to decent condition!

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Some poor sucker will be spending five to 10 times that amount in order to bring it back to decent condition!

Considering what a decent driver condition 6.9 will set you back (e.g. the blue one Styria was selling a month or two back), this car is now a complete rip-off.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Considering what a decent driver condition 6.9 will set you back (e.g. the blue one Styria was selling a month or two back), this car is now a complete rip-off.

People perceive it as cheap (I did the same years ago) and believe they can rebuild it slowly and on the cheap.

Cheap and Mercedes rebuilds don't go together.. :D:D

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
People perceive it as cheap (I did the same years ago) and believe they can rebuild it slowly and on the cheap.

Cheap and Mercedes rebuilds don't go together.. :D:D

Yes, this is true especially for the high end models.
But cheapies can be quite good as daily drivers if you never expect the car to better than a 5/10. Especially if they are the high production models.

I bought a W123 for $800 a few years ago and my brother has now put 30,000ks on it without major problems. Probably got it on the road all in for $1800. Its a bit ugly but it does the job.
I also had a rough SEC for about 4 years for winter use in the USA.

But a 6.9 is another thing entirely.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes, this is true especially for the high end models.
But cheapies can be quite good as daily drivers if you never expect the car to better than a 5/10

I bought a W123 for $800 a few years ago and my brother has now put 30,000ks on it without major problems. Probably got it on the road all in for $1800. Its a bit ugly but it does the job.

That can't apply to 6.9s (or 6.3s).
The suspension alone prohibits that.

260ebenz

Master
Good evening just looking at the photos of the 6.9 it sure does need a lot of TLC.

Bodywork & interior very rough!

42 bids $5,665 just over 3hrs remaining on the auction.

Repairs to the 6.9 would require deep pockets no doubt?

Styria

The Godfather
It's difficult to fathom the reasons for that number of bids and the amount that's been reached up to now. I wonder - could it have something to do with its location being Victoria? I tend to think that Sydney is a much tougher market than down South - very cruel and uncompromising.

However, let's appreciate the fact that a car of this worse than questionable condition should be in such demand. The magnetite blue car that I had been advertising has now gone back to its owner. Unfortunately, due to all my bouts of colds, coughs and everything else that was thrown at me over many weeks, I was unable to properly instigate the sales process. It had a small problem with the suspension system, but I rectified that by the fitting of a rebuilt Pressure Regulator. If anyone may be interested in the purchase of an excellent car with impeccable service details, let me know by way of PM. Regards. Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just as a matter of interest.

I will have a For Sale sign on the Red Terror on Sunday.

IMG_2701Large.jpg

IMG_2703Large.jpg

It is now on Club Registration.

260ebenz

Master
What selling the 6.9 surprised to hear this Michel?!

All the best with the sale Michel.