Restoring polycarbonate headlight covers.

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The headlights on my ML are now looking a little jaded and faded - I know there is lots written about restoring polycarbonate headlight covers but has anyone here any actual experience of doing so? Does it work?
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Come and chat with Jerry, or better still let him do it for you.
I believe it involves sanding with a fine paper, buffing with a certain compound and then spraying some sort of clear.

A few hours work and (I believe) $100

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Come and chat with Jerry, or better still let him do it for you.
I believe it involves sanding with a fine paper, buffing with a certain compound and then spraying some sort of clear.

A few hours work and (I believe) $100
That is very kind and sensible -I'll probably do that.
Regards,
Brian

Helmet

Connoisseur
The headlights on my ML are now looking a little jaded and faded - I know there is lots written about restoring polycarbonate headlight covers but has anyone here any actual experience of doing so? Does it work?
Regards,
Brian

If you are into DIY, there is a kit available from Repco that provides a nice finish.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am into DIY - when there is time available - I saw the Meguiar's kit at Repco and wondered if it works?
Regards,
Brian

We used to use a 'kit' from a reputable American company that was supposed to be 'fabulous'.
It was great when we first did our company 'Magna' but six months later the coating was peeling.
Paula's CLK320 convertible was done as soon as we bought it (a couple of years ago) and it still looks as good as the day it was done (which is like new).

Helmet

Connoisseur
I've tried the American brands as well. I have found Repco's own brand to work well.

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have seen headlight covers become orange translucent on many brands of motor vehicles.
It is obvious to me that the material for headlamp clusters needs an immediate maunfacturing change.

Idea!

How about using glass?

You want to protect the glass from stone chips?
How about a covering over the glass? Removeable and semi permanent protection techniques could be used.

The headlamp glass on my W116 hasn't faded yet!

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have seen headlight covers become orange translucent on many brands of motor vehicles.
It is obvious to me that the material for headlamp clusters needs an immediate maunfacturing change.

Idea!

How about using glass?

You want to protect the glass from stone chips?
How about a covering over the glass? Removeable and semi permanent protection techniques could be used.

The headlamp glass on my W116 hasn't faded yet!
And glass can be made so tough that it is not likely to shatter from a stone....however, I suspect that the regulations about pedestrian safety might be one of the factors behind the move to plastic - along with lightness and lower cost.
Regards,
Brian