Rear trailing arm bushes - replacement in-situ possible?

More threads by WGB

WGB

Armed with a couple of cool hours before the day heated up I decided to put my 6.9 on the hoist and remove the bolts from the trailing arm bushes - lower the arms on a transmission jack (one of the beauties of working with the hydraulic suspension is no springs to compress -as previously stated by Styria) - pull out the old and push in new bushes with nut bolt and sockets - and bolt it all up.

Didn't even bother taking the rear wheels off.

I was foiled as the outer bolt on each side doesn't have enough clearance between subframe and sill to be pulled out without first dropping the subframe.

A solution is to remove the nut then cut the head off the bolt and push it back the other way but before I do this has anyone any experience with changing these bushes and useful information to share.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi WGB, I am not sure if you could reverse fit the bolt that you are referring to. Something tells me that it shouldn't or can't be done but it is a while since I have dismantled any of those components, so you might have to be the WILLING guinea pig.

It reminds me of the long bolt that secures the idler arm assembly to the chassis bracket - in order to remove that assembly, one has to move the Starter Motor out of the way. ...and again, the fairy tells me that one cannot refit that bolt from the bottom with the securing nut on the top. Over to you, Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

Hi WGB, I am not sure if you could reverse fit the bolt that you are referring to. Something tells me that it shouldn't or can't be done but it is a while since I have dismantled any of those components, so you might have to be the WILLING guinea pig.

It reminds me of the long bolt that secures the idler arm assembly to the chassis bracket - in order to remove that assembly, one has to move the Starter Motor out of the way. ...and again, the fairy tells me that one cannot refit that bolt from the bottom with the securing nut on the top. Over to you, Regards Styria

You can fit the idler bolt upside down with no problems - mine was already fitted that way when I changed it and fitted a new kit so I never had to touch the starter motor. Only problem was that I slipped while torquing it and fractured a finger - and it really hurt.

Point taken - I will check the clearance for fitting the outer bolt in reverse fashion before I get into one of those "difficult to proceed" moments. The inner one is a tight fit as it probably comes close to fouling the differential flex disc but that is easier to remove and replace than the whole body:D and I have a spare with new nuts and bolts.

Bill

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
5 W126 Rear SLS Strut ball joints - availability? Mechanicals 5
OzBenzHead Rear parcel shelf Interiors 10
S A flighty Rear End Articles 9
Oversize AMG Rear Spoiler? Exteriors and Body Repairs 1
6.9forever Australian 6.9 low in rear but OK in front; also goes to High position at front Mechanicals 12
c107 S211 Rear Suspension Talking Torque 3
Styria Seized rear brake caliper Technical Information 21
Oversize W126 rear blind Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 1
motec 6.9 AMG rear spoiler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
BenzBoy Styria's rear end? Mechanicals 3
J W126 rear seat swap Interiors 1
motec 6.9 Rear Diff mount bush Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
motec 6.9 brabus rear muffler W123/116/126 M110 Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
motec 6.9 W116 rear trunk filler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 11
B FS: [Melb, Au] W107 rear rubber boot spoiler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
Styria Rear Window Switch operation Interiors 1
Oversize Heated rear seat Mercedes W116 11
M Wanted: rear suspension blocks for 6.9 Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 15
Oversize W116 Rear spring saddles Mercedes W116 1
WGB Rear 6.9 upper strut mount replacement Technical Information 0
WGB Rear sway bar chassis bush replacement Technical Information 0
WGB Rear Screen removal and replacement Interiors 2
Styria Replacing rear handbrake shoes Technical Information 13
Styria 6.9 CLACK CLACK rear hub. Mechanicals 6
CraigS WTB: W116 rear seat Squab - Blue Leather Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
mrkozzy Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips? Exteriors and Body Repairs 17
Styria 6.9 Front/Rear Struts Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
Styria Rear Axle drawing Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild - Final Assembly Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 9 - Fuel filter and hoses. Interiors 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 8 - Handbrake de-mystified and re-built Technical Information 2
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 7 - Diagonal arm bush replacement Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 6 - Torqueing rear hub Technical Information 0
WGB Advice re Torquing rear hub nut Technical Information 5
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 5 - Rear hub strip down and rebuild Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 4 - Rusted rear discs Technical Information 4
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 3 - Pinion seal replacement. Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 2 - converting diff to 126 flanged style. Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial Rear end rebuild Part 1 - Remove Complete Assembly Technical Information 17
Styria Leaking Rear Struts Technical Information 34
K 6.9 Rear Bumper - Bottom One Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
K 6.9 Entire Velour Seats For Sale Front 2 & Rear Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
Styria New rear parcel shelf Interiors 3
WGB 6.9 Rear end rebuild - Pictorial Mechanicals 4
Fotografa W116 Front and rear Windscreen seals $150 for the pair Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
Styria complete 6.9 rear end on ebay Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 5
Styria Unique Rear Brakes - 6.3 Mercedes W108 and W109 7
Styria Removal - 6.9 rear suspension valve Mechanicals 0
A 450SEL rear suspension upgrade Mercedes W116 7
3 rear muffler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0