Powder coating vs painting

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Many years ago the old man had some steel Ford wheels powder coated. Within 12 months they'd started to develop surface rust around seams and edges. Years later I made some enquiries into powder coating and although it sounds like a good idea, I've been told the surface is porus and as a result, it won't protect the material underneath from corrosion. Based on this info, I'd rather use paint than powder coating.... Is powdercoating more durable to impact damage than 2 pack? Thoughts, opinions or experience anyone?? :rolleyes:

CraigS

Sounds more like a preparation problem to me - or lack of. I think it is more durable than 2 pack. Never had any problems with mine. One thing that you can't do though is hide any surface imperfections. At least with paint, you can use high fill to fill up any pits. If you powder coated the pits, they would stand out like dogs b..lls.

POR 15 is not UV stable so it would go dull in no time.

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I'd opt for the powder coating as well. Whenever you hear of a bike frame being repainted/restored/refurbished, it is invariably powder coating that is the recommended option. I powder coated the rocker covers on Gleaming Beauty, and they have stood up extremely well....I am sure that I must be repeating myself as I seem to recall having mentioned this earlier on today, but I can't remember where.

I wasn't aware that POR 15 is not UV proof, but I do know it stands up well to the rigors of all weather conditions. I spilled some on my driveway about two years ago, and it is still there for everyone to see - and as hard as ceramics. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

Powder coating has a few drawbacks and the biggest issue is chips.

Once the surface is broken its only a matter of time until it rusts and this spreads and bubbles.

This is why we Paint cars, not Powder coat them.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes Styria you did mention your rocker covers earlier and that prompted me to start another thread.... I don't mind getting off topic (and it seems to be happening regularly now), but it can make it very hard to find specific information at a later date... :rolleyes: