Penrite ISO15 Hydraulic Oil

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
So how many people would be interested in 20L drums of this stuff, if it was far cheaper than genuine MB? I'm trying to gauge market demand, since it's only available in 1L ATM...

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=5&id_products=604

I was told Nulon ISO32 was ok (and bought 20L) but now I actually think it's too thick.... Or would a thicker fluid actually have some benefits like reducing body roll?

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Hydraulic_Fluids/ISO_32_Hydraulic_Fluid/#.UovrM1S4a70

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
BTW the capacity of the hydropneumatic suspension system is 6L!

Lukas

Definitely interested - I hate buying 1L bottles for the quantities required.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I bought 20L of Nulon ISO32 to put into the hoist; and by extension would have thought that hoist fluid != suspension fluid.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm sure the 20litre drum that I got with one if the 6.9s that I have bought over the years had that Penrite oil mentioned earlier...

Styria

The Godfather
I am afraid, guys, but I stick to the MB Oil. With it, you know what you've got. I know of one owner that used engine oil in his system. I don't know if that was the cause for him having continuous suspension problems with the car - he could never get it to perform with consistent reliability, and he sold it in the end. Today, he has very little good to say about the car. I wonder why ?

Before anyone jumps in unduly, my thoughts or judgement may not be totally correct, but I just prefer the original MB product. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
There’s some interesting new info on my Mercedes Benz HPF Facebook page... The poster suggests the 6.9 (& presumably the W126 HPF too) required thicker fluid to the regular SLS. It’s been suggested that SLS required 15W (Eg Penrite MB15) & HPF should be 32W. If true this is good news since the thicker oil is available in 5L containers & 20L drums! This would make it far cheaper per L...
3B63E0F9-D300-4456-B4AD-270DE00EA617.png06E2D09D-4398-40C1-A2AA-08986C079C6E.pngF1C40489-4CAF-4B9D-89AC-73611068AFEE.jpeg

6.9forever

Noble
Hi Oversize, yes, that was me and without repeating all the details I put there, this relates to the original factory MB Tech Data manual (small format book) that specified 343.0 (rear axle only SLS, 15 cSt kinematic viscosity) whereas 344.0 (full HPF as in 6.9, 32 cSt kinematic viscosity). Some posters on FB are still debating, which is of course fine, but what I have written here is accurate and not taken out of context.

Styria

The Godfather
From my experience, I would suggest that it is extremely critical to use the correct hydraulic viscosity fluid in the 6.9's suspension system. There is a reason for saying this, BTW, I haven't checked the viscosity specification of the Mercedes (well, you normally buy FEBI aftermarket) supplied Hydraulic Fluid, but I would think it'd be close to the ISO 46 specification. Of course, you can also obtain ISO 32 as illustrated by Oversize and, in addition, there is another specification rating as well, although presently I am uncertain of the exact reading.

Obviously, I have had the opportunity to examine all suspension components in detail and I find that the levelling valves are unbelievable sensitive in their specifications and the work being performed by a number of components within each valve, but also the switching valve, the Pressure Regulator and the Hydraulic Pump as well. There are infinite steel ball sizes, different specifications of tiny steel springs, needle opening orifices, plus rubber and teflon rings and seals. It is all very precise, and you have only got to have one terribly small components in the system, and the suspension will just not perform the way it was designed to operate. With my levelling valves, I have a failure rate that is quite significant in the overall level of my efforts to supply exchange units and when testing in real life, you sometimes scratch your head because you just can't understand why a particular unit is not working the way it should. It is always back to the drawing board and you don't always know what you are looking for and where the problem is located. In closing, I would always recommend to use the genuine oil. I know it is much more expensive, but if you have a well maintained and a healthy working system, your oil requirements should comfortably last you for two years. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I’m still somewhat confused. Although if ISO15 is for SLS & ISO48 is too thick (IMO), then in the absence of verified evidence by myself, ISO32 sounds about right! Certainly miles better than engine oil lol!!!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
The 344.0 appears to be for the tandem pumps on the W129?
2CB144D5-021A-4986-92B1-9BE675C44612.pngCECBE1D1-9162-4592-B98F-99ABA39379ED.png