Overhauling

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Anyone who's had pay TV might be familiar with this program featuring Chip Foose. I was completely addicted until they ran out of new episodes!! Seems like the show's been cancelled, which is a shame because it was such a good concept; they created some magnificant machines (not too over-the-top) and the viewer was left with a feel-good experience at the end of each episode. It was amazing what they could achieve in such a short amount of time, but they did have a team of dedicated experts and professionals that made it all look so easy!! :cool:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
The work produced by these guys was outstanding, but if I could choose anyone to build a car for me it'd be Troy Trepanier:

http://www.radrides.com/

:cool::cool:

260ebenz

Master
Mark have you ever watched the show on Foxtel it is called 'American Hot Rod'?

Boyd Coddington big name in the US with Hot Rods they show was very interesting to watch and Chip Foose use to work for Boyd.

Not sure if the show is still shown on Fox anymore?

Cheers.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

260ebenz

Master
I was not aware Boyd had passed away 3 years ago I am sure to the USA and World Wide Hot Rodders Boyd's death was a tragic loss.

I always enjoyed Boyd's show I was always impressed with Coddington's design of his Hot Rods.

Cheers.

Tony66_au

I was listening to ABC News radio when they ran an NPR (US Public radio) program on these shows and their demise and it sounded to me as if the GFC killed a lot of the Overhaulin style shows due to lack of sponsors so they may well be back if things improve.

I watched Overhaulin for years and enjoyed it with not one episode I disliked, I cant say the same for Boyd Coddingtons show and although I watched almost all of it I cringed a fair bit through out the series at his bog sculptures, similarity of design and the was his talented staff were treated and honestly on some further research his life has been a train wreck.

Im aware that the shows producers painted him and Dwayne in a bad light which was something else discussed on the radio piece but they cant make something from nothing.

That said Boyds own work before he took a managerial role was up there with Chuck Barris (The Movie car guru) and his own pieces stand out when placed next to the Boydsters produced thruout the show.

The carnage in order of exit from the show (Taken from Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hot_Rod

• Sean Dooley: metal worker, fired by Boyd during the "65 Ford Mustang" build for insubordination to Duane.
  • Jimmy "Tig" Krauss: metal worker, also leaves during the "65 Ford Mustang" after multiple bust ups with Chad "Bluebear" Geary.
  • Chad "Bluebear" Geary: junior fabricator/assembler, fired for insubordination during the rat rod build-off. Against Boyd's explicit orders, Bluebear insisted on building the car like an old-school hot rod without boxed frame rails.
  • Charley Hutton: Bodyshop supervisor, leaves Boyd's company after deciding to do work for competitor Chip Foose during the 42 Woodie build. Despite offering to return after the work was completed, Boyd said it was a gross breach of trust and told him never to come back. Hutton later appeared on the show Rides, it said he worked for Chip Foose and won a Ridler Award. Later Hutton appeared on Overhaulin'. He subsequently opened his own custom paint shop in Idaho.
  • Andrew "Beetle Bailey" Petterson: Bodyshop worker, left at the same as Hutton and went to work for Chip Foose.
  • Al Simon: Chassis builder, quits during the Bud Light build-off though he subsequently returned to the shop. now has his own shop
  • Mike Curtis: Machine Shop Supervisor, fired for designing motor cycle wheels for competitor Chip Foose in his free time. Curtis later appeared on Overhaulin'.
  • Roy Schmidt: Metal worker, died, aged 64, after a long battle with lung cancer.
  • Thomas Loddby: Fabricator/assembler, left to start a shipping business but later returned to work part-time.
  • Louie Biegler: metal worker, sacked after doing hardly any work during his two weeks of employment.
  • Brad Johnston: Fabricator/assembler, left after failing to turn up for work on a Saturday during the "61 Impala Bubbletop" build. Accused Duane of bullying and Boyd of never being around the shop.
  • Scott Parker: Fabricator/Assembler, left to work for himself but ended up working for Chip Foose.
  • Willie Johnstone: Bodyshop painter, returned to New Zealand and opened his own custom paint shop in Tauranga.
  • Liz Miles: fabricator left the company, as claimed by the company's statement, after the show's producer set Liz up to work on Jo’s Hot Rod. But according to Miles's biography, she was asked to leave the company because of issues with Boyd's wife, Jo Coddington.[4] Now a freelance writer.

260ebenz

Master
I do remember the seeing the episodes of the heated stoushes between Coddington and Bluebear it sure did have it's moments!

Top research with the Hot Rods Tony excellent work!

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
Great summary, Tony, and also thanks Motec 6.9 for the various links supplied. I have to admit it's come as a shock to learn of his death, and I am sure that 'Parks' will be equally surprised. He'd never miss any of his shows, and he also went to Homebush (driving rain) when Boyd Coddington came to Australia. I never got to watch his show as others seemed to take preference on the family scene when telly watching came along. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

Sorry gents, Been Ill and missed these replies.

After reading through this thread I'd like to stress that Boyds work was at its peak early on and i believe that his first wife had a lot to do with tempering Boyd's volatile nature and having dealt with more than my fair share of geniuses in a few fields they need balance to finish what their turmoil helps create and I believe that he also had some very bad advice in the latter part of his career.

Humility didn't seem to be part of Boyds makeup and this has caused him to lose what were the most valuable assets any business can have, Good staff.

This is further proven by the departure of these former staff members who went on to find their own level of success measured by their work not by their fame especially when you look at Charley Hutton and Al Simon.

Boyds inability to let bygones be bygones in regards to Chip Foose who in my opinion is The God of Car Design and a hell of a nice bloke and boyds further claims that he "Made" Chip what he is today (Modern car design Deity) as well as the constant harping and petty vindictive behavior by both Boyd and Duane sadly marks them as small small men regardless of what they have created.

Another little known fact is that Duane did the rounds of the Car TV shows and although he appeared on a few it was fleeting and he was never asked back.

I also believe there was an alleged dustup between Duane and an ex AHR employee who provoked the fairly one sided alleged fight (Better described as a beating) who did little more than ignore Duanes rants and then provoke Duane by appearing unfussed at Duanes screaming and for Smiling throughout the event which allegedly drove Duane to throw the first punch. This I got from a Discovery Network Cameraman and is unsubstantiated although I can see the allegations having some foundation.

Personally? Id have taken to Duane with a length of pipe on a few occasions as the man obviously has no manners. :)

And I hate that in Adults.

WiSeGuYY

Hey ALL,

i don't know how i missed this link too , but since there are not many topics for me i decided to open this link and was shocked from the many links there .

the most detailed restoration and conversion in radrides.com (troy) and if you can enter the projects there are one buick 1954 equiped with AMG engine , very impressive ( thank you MARK) with all respect to my freinds motec and tony , great finds guys as always .

And to our Godfather hope you always well and if you can see that link i refer to please it show at a slide show slide 105-108 the AMG ENGINE on American muscele ( it was 1954 buick chapter 2 of hal wing)

REGARDS

TAREK