One of Japan's most formidable street machines

More threads by chrisp

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Do not underestimate the little 121. My mechanic has one as a daily driver (he who featured in last Frida'ys Drive section of the SMH) and driving it as much fun as you can have without snorting 100 octane Avgas. It goes; it corners; it stops; and at 60kph you feel like you are doing 200kph - even though it has done nearly 300,000 kms. It is a genuine pocket rocket - although driving in a lane on the M5 beside a B-double is mighty scary stuff.
and so compact: I could fit two in the space normally taken by a #####-#####!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Mazda also made a later model, again called a 121. It was a bit more, what, modern looking ? It looked different, and they are usually driven by females - like, it's a female car, similar to the Saab Cabriolets. Hardly ever see a guy driving one of those.

I guess one looks at Mazda as quite a quality car manufacturer, but for some reason and not necessarily logical, they have never appealed to me except for the 929(?) series of late 1990s (?) - very smooth and slippery shape, but they didn't last for very long, but certainly looked the part. These were the ones with the V6 engine and announced as an absolute world beater by motoring journalists of the day. On a different tack, one of my boys had a late model 626 Station Wagon, but it went through two gearboxes in next to no time.

Nowadays, I find drivers of the 2, and particularly the 3, as well as the 6 series and the CX7 and CX9 as very aggressive drivers. Anyone care to comment about my observations ? :D BTW, 6.9 drivers can be aggressive as well - in a subtle manner ! Regards Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria wrote - "Nowadays, I find drivers of the 2, and particularly the 3, as well as the 6 series and the Q7 and Q9 as very aggressive drivers. "
I suspect it is simply that everyone else is younger, faster and in more of a hurry than we are Mr S!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it's not a Japanese machine, but a little POLSKI something. I have a lasting memory of one that competed in an Autocross in some God forsaken hinterland in Austria. You know, by "hinterland" I refer to a beautiful country area in the Salzburg (Sound of Music) locality - you won't find much nicer. I'll dig out a couple of photos in due course. Anyway, back to the Polski job.

It had lost the two rear tyres, but the fronts were still doing their job hauling this thing through the dirt and mud, with the rear fishtailing all over the place. Despite nailing his big toe to the accelerator, he managed to finish the race unlike a Mercedes that had been fitted with a 560 engine and some form of transaxle (out of some German four wheel drive), but expired in a cloud of 'fire smoke' after running near the lead for about five laps. Spectators killed themselves laughing. It was quite incredible and highly entertaining. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Styria wrote - "Nowadays, I find drivers of the 2, and particularly the 3, as well as the 6 series and the Q7 and Q9 as very aggressive drivers. "
I suspect it is simply that everyone else is younger, faster and in more of a hurry than we are Mr S!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hi BenzBoy, you, of all people, should know that I can more than hold my own - :D - remember our trip to where was it ? Canberra ? Bowral ?...and the Arabian Prince in his 560 belching black smoke like a Diesel Train attempting to overtake Gleaming Beauty ? I think I can more than hold my own with most of the best 'P' platers and rice rocket merchants. It's what is known as 'guile' - but I call it 'street wise'. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ah yes - that was the day the gods protected you from the Policeman on the Honda and the day you put ATF into TGB to clear the engine. Hmmm - I thought the EPA would arrest you for pollution!! :D:D:D
I remember Hyundais quivering in fear as you thundered down the Hume....:eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Nice to hear Styria that old hoon's never die they just keep on passing you;) as for the Niki my younger brother had 1 for 5 years it was slow but fun used it for a work car for 12months as my brother could not sell it ended up in the collection off Niki's owned by Anders at Eurotune motorcycles in Queanbeyan Ps he has a London doubledecker bus and a 280sel3.5 so he has some taste:D