Odds & Ends, Bibs & Bobs

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Over the years, I have collected and physically handled, sorted and God knows what else, thousands of parts, all relating to Rover Cars and of course, Mercedes Benzes primarily of the 116 range - the models of which form quite an important part of this website.

Sorting various contents of parts from various boxes to others, I decided to photograph some of them to give others an idea of just what I have collected by way of small, and sometimes intricate parts - now, I stress this is only just a very small selection.

This boix contains all manner of vacuum switches and plastic lines - the bottom contains many one way valves that govern the operation of the central locking arrangement.

TechnicalPictures030.jpg

The next box contains all manners of light bulbs, electrical connectors etc. etc.

TechnicalPictures028.jpg

Next is a box of rebuilt front and rear struts - I am not advertising those as they are untried. Some bench testing, pressureless, has been carried out but they are not a proven product that I would want to sell.

TechnicalPictures029.jpg

Next is a sundry box with mudflaps, top front strut mounts, and a 6.9 washer box - no longer available, with a last known price tag of a bit over $600.00 at least two years ago. I had one manufactured in alloy for Gleamiong Beauty at a cost of $350.00 - a bit more than half price !

TechnicalPictures031.jpg

All of the ot5hers are just small plastic drawers of many various items.

TechnicalPictures026.jpg

TechnicalPictures025.jpg

TechnicalPictures026.jpg

TechnicalPictures027.jpg

Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice to know you have all that stuff stashed in case anyone is in trouble.

Well done Godfather

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
You know Michel, one day I went to a wrecker and discovered that they had a 6.9 in their yard. It was the sort of place where you dismantle yourself and pay for all the goodies on your way out. Well, my heart beat faster when I saw the car - no pirates or raiders had been anywhere near it as it was complete. As you know, mechanicals are the things to get as they differentiate between 6.9 and the other models in the range.The good bit was that the wreckers had no idea what they had on their hands. You've got to be lucky sometimes.

I spent the next three days in stinking hot, and windy conditions, dismantling parts from the car - gearbox, differential (well, complete rear end) and all other components I could get hold of, including steering box, front suspension parts and that fabled strengthening plate for the steering box - all with the barest of refreshments from eight to five, as I did not dare to leave any tools or parts lying about - it was the sort of place full of 'hyenas' that would grab anything that they could lay their hands on and did not belong to them. You could only use handtools, no hydraulic jacks, no nothing.....This is part of the reason why I can now offer items on an exchange basis. Could I do it again - you bet, I would have to. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The last remaining picture I wanted to post under this thread relates to various timber components that I have on hand in various stages of refurbishment. There are both Zebrano and Burr Walnut versions, and I am planning to instal some items in my 450SE 'Goldie' that's still not quite complete - not far off now.....

TechnicalPictures032.jpg

Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I'm confused. Is this stuff for sale?

Yes KenM., everything is for sale, but this is part of the story......

Keeping track of parts I have collected over the years can be an onerous task. Chances are that many items I will never use as I have too many of them, but if I need any item, it's nice to open a box and have it sitting there. With availability of parts becoming quite scarce, and prices rising at an ever increasing percentage, 116 ownership can become expensive. Mercedes do their utmost to basically force these cars off the road and to the recyclers on account of cost of parts. For instance, the rear shackle pin that attaches to the sway bar and top of the rear hub is now priced at $380.00 plus GST - I have solved that problem by rebuilding those shackles - but Ken, basically I am a horder of parts as I tend to think that I may need them one day !

Interior work is the area in which I have most expertise in, and part of that includes the timber items in the dash and gearbox tunnel. Naturally, any item is for sale, and I have supplied three complete sets to various 116 owners over a period of time. All had been refurbished. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Styria: I think I know where you are coming from and in your case, and for all W116 owners, that is a very good thing. There are some other hoarders of old Mercedes parts generally, ( we know them), who have lots of parts, but will not sell any of them for God knows what reason.

You do.

Basically, if you had not hoarded any parts, it would have been more difficult for you, AND also more difficult for us also. The fact that you have, has made them still available, and if someone needs a part more than you do, because you have duplicates, you are able to sell them to one who may desperately need a part.

That has to be a good thing.